From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 1994 08:55:09 EDT
>In regard to the situation at BC, I have always wondered how schools
>know how many scholarships to offer because not everyone offered a
>scholarship is going to take it.  Schools have the same trouble in
>deciding how many students to admit into the general student body each
>year, but if a few more accept than they had anticipated, there is no
>real problem here.  I suppose that the reason that RPI apparently stil

So, like the airlines, it seems that some colleges (at least BC anyway) have
a problem in "overbooking" scholarships.  Perhaps the NC$$ needs to become
involved in this situation, and adopt a regulation similar to the one imposed
by the FAA on the airlines:

Proposed Regulation Governing the Awarding of Athletic Scholarships

NC$$ member schools may offer more scholarships than they actually have, since
it can be expected that not all scholar athletes will actually matriculate.
A scholar athlete must report to the university's bursar office 90 days prior
to the beginning of the semester, or prior to the firing of the existing
coach, (or similar university official) who actually offered the scholarship
in order to lock-in the scholarship award.
NOTE: the proposed policy DOES NOT apply to scholarships offered by alumni.

In those cases where more scholar athletes elect to accept scholarships
than are available, the institution is obliged to follow the following
procedure.  Scholarships will be awarded on a "first come, first served" basis
with determination based on the order that each scholar athlete is processed
by the bursar/registar.  A college may offer incentives to the scholarship
designees to relinguish their rights prior to processing. The minimum
incentive would be one year's tuition at a university of the designee's choice.
If more scholar athletes present for processing by the bursar than are
available, the "bumped" student must be offered a four-year scholarship to the
institution of the student's choice.  The student must of course meet the
criteria for admission of the chosen university, and the granting of the
scholarship does not automatically guarantee admission to said college.

"Bumped" scholarships are not transferable, and can only be used by the
individual whose name appears on the scholarship award.  An athlete may
substitute one year of graduate study for one year of undergraduate study
however, if such situation exists.  "One year" is defined as the number of
credit hours a normal student would take if enrolled as an undergraduate or
graduate student.

No other incentive packages, such as cars, airline tickets, cash/loans,
etc. will be permitted as substitute remuneration for the bumped scholar
athlete.

:-J

                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"