From:
Steve Weisfeldt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 1994 13:22:55 EST
and just rambling in general:

I initially agreed with Dave that maybe Lowell had gone into a defensive
"shell" a bit early and it wasn't just exhaustion.  But in listening to
David Mayes and Christian Sbrocca on last evening's "Bruce Crowder Show",
I got the impression that were, in fact, just plain outta gas.  Christian
said that after the game the team was almost too tired to be disconsolate-
said it was the most tired he'd ever been in his career.  He also said
that many of the players were cramping up towards the middle of the third
period.

I was really proud of how the guys spoke.  It was less than 24 hours after
a devestating loss and none of them were gloomy.  They spoke of how they
accomplished more they had initially set out to do, how they played a
longer season than any team in the history of Lowell Div. I history, and
how, hockey aside, they helped put the University of Mass-Lowell on the
map.  It didn't sound phoney like some athletes do when trying to be
gracious after a tough loss.  [I will admit though, that all the players
on the show were coming back next year.  My guess is that the seniors
might be a bit more upset.  Next week's show will be dedicated to the
seniors, so we'll see what they say].

I hope this doesn't come across as sour grapes, because I'd feel the same
way if Lowell had somehow one, but am I the only that thinks the teams
with the "bye" somehow get an unfair advantage?  I do realize they've
worked hard to get one of the top two seeds, but IMO getting to play the
lower seed AND getting a bye seems like it should be enough.  Give the
winner from the first night a day off!  If Lake State hadn't upset
Michigan the "bye" teams would've been eight-for-eight in this format.
Not only does this format heavily favor the "bye" teams, but if the second
round games went really long (like the UML-MINN game), and players were
playing with absolutely nothing left, someone could get hurt.

My suggestion is to have one regional to have games on Thursday and
Saturday and for the other regional to do Friday and Sunday.  [Don't get
me wrong, I much prefer an on-campus first round, but I don't get the
feeling that we'll see that again soon.]  Any agreement/disagreement?

I've posted this before, but I'll say it again.  I hope Lowell fans and
hockey fans in the Boston area will continually complain to WNDS about not
having the UML-MINN game live.  (High school girl's basketball?!?!?!  Star
Trek?!?!)  I'm also letting the school know my opinions, since Lowell lets
WNDS broadcast some home games, they'd better realize where their bread is
buttered!!

Dave, you're right about losing a great group of seniors, but at least
Coach Crowder a good nucleus already in place.  If you remember the last
time Lowell was in the NCAA they got CRUSHED by Wisconsin and then
graduated practically the entire team!! (Jon Morris, the Valimonts, Dave
Delfino, etc)  They immediately went to the Hockey East basement.  There's
no chance of this happening now.  The big concern, of course, is if Craig
Lindsay can fill Rollie's shoes.  I sort of wish Martin Legault had
decided on Lowell instead of Merrimack (I think he's going to be a good
one), but [goalie coach] Ed Walsh seems to have a lot of good things to
say about Craig.  Defensively, the team remains sound, David Mayes is
going to become one of the premier players in Hockey East, I believe.  And
you've got to love the way Paul Botto has stepped up his game.  [I could
go on and on, but I'll save that for later].

One thing of concern to me (and I assume other Lowell fans), when asked
last night on his radio show if he'd be interestd in the Boston College if
he was approached, Bruce Crowder replied "we'll cross that bridge when we
get to it".  Although Mike Milbury will apparently get the job, does the
fact that Bruce didn't say "No way, my work at Lowell's not done yet - I'm
here for awhile longer" bother anyone besides myself?  This is very
critical time for the program.  On the brink on becoming permanently "big
time", and with a new arena coming, they must have a couple of really good
season to make sure this happens.  If not, the beautiful new facility at
UMass-Amherst could lure everyone away and sink the program for good.
Let's PRAY this doesn't happen!

Steve Weisfeldt                                   Go Chiefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
University of Lowell (now UMASS-Lowell)  1986, 1988
[log in to unmask]                          Roloson for Hobey!!!!!!