Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 1994 14:48:25 -0500
I posted something about this to OLYMPUCK, but I didn't expect to see
the score on HOCKEY-L.  I will repeat here what I said there.

PLEASE, do NOT post the score of the Team USA games to HOCKEY-L as
soon as the game ends.  With the games that take place during the day
on workdays, many of us are taping the games so we can watch them at
home.  I need to be able to use my email for work as well as HOCKEY-L
(really!), so I can't just ignore mail for the rest of the day.  And
once a message comes in with the score, and it pops up on screen, there's
nothing I can do about it - I've already seen it.  I still plan to watch
the game, but I know it's not going to be the same knowing what happened.
It is as bad as CBS telling us Tommy Moe won the downhill and then not
showing it for 12 hours.

Instead, I recommend that if you know the score and want to be able to
provide the service of telling those without access to it, post a note
asking people who want the score to email you.  And for those who want
to provide updates, in 1992 I was able to get the radio broadcast from
my office (I cannot now) and I had a small mailing list of people who
I'd send updates to.  It would have worked better if our mail system
there had been quicker, but...that would be a better alternative than
posting scores to HOCKEY-L.  It isn't the same as daily college games.

BTW, Glenn Gale posted the final to OLYMPUCK with a "WARNING" subject
and lots of blank space before the actual score.  That is a good
compromise, it seems to me, between not spoiling the suspense for
people and getting the score out to those who want to see it.  I appreciate
that...
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<< Color Voice of the (13-14-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>