Sender:
From:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1993 18:49:36 -0400
If my memory serves me right, Mike hit the nail on the head a few weeks
ago when he predicted Stu Haskell would step down from commissioner of
Hockey East. Yesterday's Boston Globe carried a little blurb by Bob Monahan
saying that Haskell resigned (I can't remember when his resignation takes
effect) from the top job in HE, basically due to the fact that he was
also commissioner of the North Atlantic Conference and that the burden of
of overseeing two leagues was a little two much. As Mike pointed out in
his post, Ass't Commissioner Dr. Noni Daly pretty much ran the show in HE
last season, and would make a fine commissioner. On the occassions that I
met her when I did stats for BU last season, she was friendly and very
helpful to everyone, and I look forward to seeing more of her (hopefully)
in the future.

That story in the paper ends a long drought of college hockey material in
this summer. It seems to me that last summer the Globe ran something once
every few weeks, usually a short feature or something on recruits. But
this story (if you can call it that--it was only a paragraph) was the first
thing they did that I know of since the whole business with Mallen and UMass,
excepting their annual "Where the recruits are going" piece. It just makes
the off-season that much more difficult.

Rumor out of Harvard has it that alums and athletic folks alike were
less-than-thrilled with the radio coverage of Harvard hockey last season
and are going to pull the plug on WHRB-FM, the student radio station, from
doing games next season. The idea is to get a 'professional' crew in to
do the games and air them on a commercial outlet here in the Boston area.
Listeners to games last season complained about the quality of the
student sportscasters, and it seems their complaints were taken seriously.
I haven't heard any talk about who might be doing the games, or on what
station they would be on, but as soon as I hear anything else I'll pass it
on. I fear some folks may be turned off by the demands of the grueling
Harvard road schedule, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

On another note, I noticed the other day that all the BU hockey banners
have been removed from the rafters in Walter Brown Arena for the summer,
and that reminded me of Carol describing the removal of the Minnesota
banners from the old Mariucci, where they bought the team captains back
from the championship years to be entrusted with the banners, etc.
Is there any sort of tradition that deals with the removal of banners
from the arena, or was this something unique to Minnesota?

I hope to get some stuff from the BU SID in a couple of weeks about the
incoming class, and when I do, I'll put together a BU "summer hockey
update."

Counting down the days until October 23...

--Sid Whitaker
BU '94