Sender:
From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1993 14:53:26 EDT
Jason Moy and Mike M have supplied the list with some good material in this
period of warm weather ennui (now that the Islanders are out, who cares about
hockey?) concerning Albany's one and only 16,000 seat mausoleum.  Now my
comments.

I think Jason's got it right for the most part about the Knick.  Moving the
AHL franchise (I just can't get the stomach to say the new nickname) will
probably end up as another disaster for the Capital District's fans.  In
addition to Jason's points I'll add another: the Albany Choppers.  Anyone
heard of them?  Probably not.  They only played their brand of IHL hockey in
the Knick for three months before they folded.  AHL hockey is best suited for
small barns which can attract a lot of season ticket holders.  One only has to
look at Glens Falls to see a small arena which does quite well with a minor
league team--despite the fact that Glens Falls is probably one-fifth the size
of Albany.  The impressive of season ticket-holders remains the key ingredient
for that franchise's viability.Move the AHL team out of cozier Houston
Fieldhouse and into the Knick will result in that franchise following Utica's
to Prince Edward Island.

However--move the RPI Invitational to the Knick?  Great idea, on paper.
The tournament really is a disgrace--the level of competition has historically
been barely above the Junior A level.Season ticketholders boycott the
tournament en masse--they know it's a waste of their money.  Moving the
tournament to the Knick, tied in to a corporate sponsor (how about the
stateworkers' unions CSEA or PEF :-w )would work (maybe).  Attracting a team
like Michigan, Wisconsin (Albany loves the Cheeseheads) or BU or Maine would
certainly enhance attendance.  No, I will not flatly state the tournament would
be a success, this IS Albany!

But it will never happen.  RPI needs/wants the $ to pay off the bonds on the
Fieldhouse (or squirrel it away for something else they won't admit to.)
The only thing that might prompt such a move is if Buddy tells the
administration he need to increase his RPI index with some tougher competition
so the Engineers don't get shut out again by you know who.  Even then the
administration might not go along.

Here's a better suggestion: how about putting the NC$$ Regionals in the Knick.
And after that the 1997, 98, 99 2000 Finals.  I guarantee we'll outdraw Lake
Placid.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris