Sender:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1992 14:38:40 EDT
Regarding Cara's reply:

Yes, to the best of my knowledge the regulations apply to all varsity
sports.  As far as reporting, you can bet that very few are self-reported.
I believe that the NC$$ (or possibly the conference) sends someone to
each campus to check things out.  Example: some official will be present
one weekend a year to monitor the Michigan hockey team.  If I walked up
to Denny Felsner after the game, said "Great game, Denny," and slipped
him a $20 bill -- all hell would break lose.  Denny would be in trouble,
the hockey program would be in trouble, and I would probably be barred
from having any association with the team.  This is a blatant example,
but even smaller things such as giving a player a ride or some home-baked
cookies are a violation of the rules and should be reported by the
official.  Now, as for you being a student and a hockey booster, I'm in
the fog.  You're well within you're rights as a student to take another
student out for a beer (if you're both 21!).  I would hope that your
status as a student would supercede your status as a booster, but I
wouldn't count on it.

John

P.S. - Those of you who know me know that having $20 in my pocket is
EXTREMELY rare -- and if I did I sure wouldn't give it to any player,
let alone one that'll be making enough in the NHL to support his family
and mine.  :-)