Sender:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1992 08:23:28 EDT

As a member of U-Mich Dekers Blue Line Club, we are made aware of what we
can and can't do (the second list being much longer).  I'm a recent
graduate of UM, I'm in my 20s, and there are a few people on the team
that I consider to be my friends away from the hockey rink.  I do get
together with them during the season and during the summer, but I CANNOT
give them a ride - not even from the rink to their apartment.  We get
together for lunch occasionally, but I CANNOT pick up the tab although
they can!  After lunch, I CANNOT drop them off at home or at class even
if I'm going that way.  Basically, I cannot do anything that is not offered
to every student.  The rules would be somewhat relaxed if I was still a
student, but because I'm no longer a student I'm viewed as an "unlawful
alumni booster".  In other words, my best friend may play on the team, but
he can't be my best friend because the NC$$ says so.

I'm dealing with the above, although it's difficult.  I see both sides of
the issue, but I don't see a solution that everyone is comfortable with.
Another thing that grinds me is that I CANNOT even give the players a
copy of the Deker Newsletter.  I may interview a player for the newsletter
and write about it, but I cannot give him a copy to read.  Something seems
a little bit off there.

I hope this helps.

John H