Sender:
From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 09:52:17 EST
The recent comments about Greg Bullock turning pro, and him being 22, have made
me wonder about what the age is where a player is no longer draftable.  There
are some players, such as Blaine Lacher and Dwayne Roloson, who did not
distinguish themselves early in their collegiate careers.  By the time that
they were playing exceptionally, they were (I believe) past the age where they
could be drafted so they were desireable free agents who had many bidders.

What does all this have to do with Bullock?  Well, after last year's scoring
honors, he was not drafted.  My assumption at the time was that pro scouts
did not feel his game would be as successful in the pros.  I was very surprised
but Bullock does have an unorthodox style and I simply attributed his not being
drafted to pro assumptions that his style wouldn't work.  However, since he
was 21 at the time (he turns 22 in 4 days), I wonder if he simply wasn't
eligible for the draft and will fall into the same category as Lacher and
Roloson.  This makes a huge difference, of course, in the likelihood of his
turning pro after this year.  There *have* been times this season, even prior
to the recent UML fiascos, when Bullock has looked disinterested.  If he feels
that he'll have several pro suitors after this season, then it makes more sense.

So if anyone has *concrete* info on the maximum ages of draftability, please
post it or email me.

Thanks in advance.

(FWIW, I've seen only one period total out of the four recent UML blowout
losses due to my son's hockey and my daughter's swimming, so I have no clue
as to what has gone wrong.  But the numbers speak volumes...)

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!        Go Leafs! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*