From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1993 00:01:48 EDT
I thought people might be interested to see what's going to happen to the
Maine team from this year.  With the combination of Olympics and
graduation, as well as pros, the Black Bears will be doing a big rebuilding
job next year, I think.  Under each position, I've listed the players who
have seen a significant amount of time this season.

GOAL
Graduating (1): Garth Snow
Olympics (1): junior Mike Dunham
Returning (0): only freshman Greg Hirsch has seen any time, and behind Snow
  and Dunham, it wasn't much.  Dunham had already announced his intent to
  leave whether it be to the Olympics or the pros.

DEFENSE
Graduating (1): Dan Murphy
Turned pro (1): junior Matt Martin
Olympics (1): junior Chris Imes
Returning (4): soph Andy Silverman, jr Jason Weinrich, soph Dave MacIsaac,
  junior Lee Saunders

FORWARD
Graduating (5): Dave LaCouture, Eric Fenton, Jim Montgomery, Kent Salfi,
  Martin Mercier
Olympics (3): freshmen Paul Kariya, Chris Ferraro, Peter Ferraro
Returning (4): soph Mike Latendresse, jr Patrice Tardif, jr Justin Tomberlin,
  jr Cal Ingraham

There are a handful of players who have seen limited time this year, such
as Fs Jamie Thompson (16 GP, 3-1--4), Chuck Texeira (11 GP, 1-3--4), Brad
Purdie (18 GP, 3-7--10), and D Jack Rodrigue (2 GP, 0-2--2).  Stats were
through the end of the regular season, I don't think any of these four saw
much playoff action if any.

In short, if all of the players who have a solid chance at the Olympics do
make it (Imes, Kariya, Ferraros), then Maine effectively will play much of
1993-94 with the following number of players with experience (barring further
defections):

0 G, 4 D, 4 F

Easy to see why this was the year for Maine!  Just how long the four
potential Olympians spend away from Orono will likely dictate what kind of
success Maine will have next season.  Also key will be the ability of the
recruits to step in and play as well as the limited time players.  They're
definitely going to get a chance to show what they can do.

Since 5 of those 8 players (among the 4 D/4 F) will be seniors next year
and Kariya, Imes and the Ferraros very well may be all gone to the NHL by
September 1994, Maine will be a VERY young team in 94-95 too.

I'd be interested to hear anything about Maine recruits for next year...the
only name I recall hearing is Trevor Roenick who I haven't seen, but
reports were that he isn't as dominating as his brother...what's his
name? :-)

Wonder who'll be the preseason #1 next year...Michigan?  Harvard?  LSSU?
Out of Hockey East, Jim Love and Chris Craig might groan at my having hexed
them, but I think UNH could be the strongest team returning with their
immensely talented incoming recruits as well.  Strong freshman classes will
be the key to Maine and BU remaining among the upper echelon of the league.
As for Merrimack, we have glowing reports of the new recruits at all
positions as being players who can step in and make an immediate impact in
HE, so with 11 experienced players coming back (including a transfer D),
that will also be the key to Merrimack continuing its upward swing and
making a bid for home ice.  I'll post a list of recruits when it is released.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
alternate address days: [log in to unmask]             *HMN*  11/13/93
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)