Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1993 12:24:41 -0500
> And to ask for sources or an apology infers a holier than thou
attitude that Brown University certainly would not do this.... I
just find it hard to believe.

Then I doubt you understand the antagonism which can exist at an
Ivy faculty/administration level towards athletics. Believe it (or,
in your case, not) the admissions personnel at certain
universities, when directed to evaluate admissions requests
independent of such sexy considerations, actually do their jobs, and
get very, very touchy when somebody tries to bias the process.
That's "touchy" as in whistle-blowing, publicly-humiliating,
job-threatening touchy. To the point of over-reaction.

Naive me assumes that this attitude is more or less pervasive in
academia, and that the Ivies have no corner on the market of
zealous guardianship of admissions standards.

But I find it hard to believe that it's _this_ hard for you to
believe certain schools take this stuff seriously. I mean, if
admissions cheating is the rule and not the exeception, maybe
there's some truth to the frequently-repeated statement that
the Ivies are significantly cleaner in their recruiting and
admissions. I wouldn't think so, but I'm beginning to wonder.

Greg
CU Admissions, 1985-6