From:
"Robert H. Gross" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert H. Gross
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1993 13:02:05 EST
Dear hockey folks-

I just received the letter below and feel compelled to respond. I am not sure
how many of you on hockey-L have seen this but hockey-L is listed in the
address so I am posting it here.

THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST STUPID IDEAS I'VE SEEN IN A LONG TIME. Not only will
it delay the game for quite a while (and perhaps cost Dartmouth some
momentum?), but it might result in a penalty (and perhaps cost Dartmouth a
goal?), and certainly shows no class (perhaps costing Dartmouth a little of
its very hard won respect). I urge all you Dartmouth folks NOT to do this.
Bring noise makers, fog horns, "Puck" hats or anything else. PELASE do not
resort to throwing things on the ice!

Bob Gross (maybe I'm old fashioned)
----------------------------------
well, this letter has been circulating the e-mail conglomerate here at
Dartmouth.  It had been forwarded at least 10 times before I saw it,
and I'm sure by now most of the campus has seen it.  Comments?

Forwarded message: (names omitted)

THIS COULD BE REALLY FUN.  WE SHOULD DO THIS AS A TEAM. SO READ ON.

1)  This is a chain letter.

2)  This is a chain letter of a very different sort.

Yes, doom and all that crap will happen if you don't send this to twenty
people and great luck will happen and everything will be joyous if you do
send it on to twenty more people.

BUT, READ ON...

Here is the special purpose of this letter:

On Friday night, the 29th, the surging Dartmouth men's hockey team (5 out of
their last 6) will have a crucial game with Princeton at Thompson Arena.  If
you are going, and this would be a very wise choice to make, BRING A TENNIS
BALL.  Why?  AFTER THE FIRST DARTMOUTH GOAL, PELT THE PRINCETON GOALIE.

In addition to being great fun, this is PAYBACK for last year when Princeton
fans threw great quantities of tennis balls at Vern Guetens, our goalie.
THIS IS SCHOOL HONOR WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE!  Also, imagine the spectacle
of over a thousand tennis balls come flying out of the stands...

The only way this can work is by word of mouth in the next few days which
means sending this blitz on.  If you don't send this letter to twenty people,
your genitals will fall off or cave in and, really, who wants that, right?
If you do, you will gain true wisdom and rule many lands and have great sex.
So do it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, BRING A TENNIS BALL ON FRIDAY!!!

Thank you most sincerely,
Wilson Dunlop