From:
Stephen E Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen E Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 1995 14:54:55 EST
Rick A McAdoo asked:

>Am I correct in assuming that Niagara will be fielding one of those
>"Division I but not at the top level like HE/ECAC/CCHA/WCHA" teams?  I
>am constantly confused by the fact that there are several (many?) teams
>that are considered Division I or II but play in what are substantially
>Division III leagues.  I know that ECAC West has Canisius (not sure what
>division), Mercyhurst (Div. II), and others, and ECAC East has some teams
>that are "Division I" due to their other NCAA programs but play in the
>same league with other Division III teams (UConn and Holy Cross and ...?)
>Then we have the ACHA club teams that are Division I and Division II ....

Yes, it appears Niagara will join the legion of "low cost" Div. I
hockey programs, along with Canisius, Holy Cross, UConn, Villanova,
Iona, and Fairfield.  Whether they eventually move up to "big time"
hockey remains to be seen.

 I think it's fair to characterize the
ECAC/West and ECAC/East as "mixed" leagues -- a combination of Div.
I, II, and III programs.  For someone not familiar with these
leagues, it might appear "unfair" on the surface -- but I assure you
that Div. I Canisius does not routinely trample the likes of Div. III
RIT and Elmira, nor Div. II Mercyhurst.

ACHA divisions I & II, to my knowledge, indicate the relative level
of competition (I'm sure there are specific criteria).  I would
definitely not equate them to NCAA Div. I and II, however.

Dr. Stephen E. Roth                [log in to unmask]
Dean of Student Services
Canisius College                            (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14226                 FAX (716) 888-3190