From:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1993 11:34:54 -0500
Some more comments on the Michigan/Wisconsin Heart Stopper...
(the inserted comments are from John H's message)

> Wisconsin   0  1  2  0 -- 3      8  10  11  0 -- 29
> Michigan    1  0  2  1 -- 4      8  10  13  2 -- 33

> 51:05 MICH Willis 3 (Stone,Knuble)

This goal was well deserved -- Rick Willis played one of the best
hockey games he's every played for the Maize and Blue.  I was
extremely happy to see he was a major contributor to Michigan's
toughest victory this year.

> 54:07 WISC Tok 3 (Shier,Rafalski)

This goal should never have gone in.  The puck was in the Michigan
zone with Michigan's Aaron Ward and a Badger chasing after it.  The
Wisconsin player reached it first near the boards even with the
face-off dot.  Aaron then pounded him into the boards (one of the only
hits in the game).  I think every one in the arena was watching the
check, including Shields, because Tok grabbed the forgotten-about puck
at the top of the face-off circle and zoomed the puck straight through
Shields' legs.  Definitely a mental lapse on Steve's part.  I bet he's
glad Stewart got the next goal to re-tie it -- or else he'd have a
REAL long summer.

> 56:13 MICH Stewart 20 (Wiseman,Oliver)

Michigan's most unsung hero strikes at the most needed times.  I'm so
glad Cam "Mad Dog" Stewart will be around next year to make those
opponents black and blue...

> 61:35 MICH Roberts 26 (unassisted)

This was indeed Roberts, unassisted.  Stiver and Roberts each swung at
the puck at the same time, but Roberts got his stick there first, and
I would agree that Stiver probably pushed Robert's stick along.  But
as Roberts and Stiver said in post game interviews, "we don't care who
got the goal, just as long as the puck was in the net."

> Officials: Three Bozos from the East, I presume

Their names were R. Fowkes, S. McBride, and some lone linesman.  I
remember seeing Fowkes last year...  These guys put away their
whistles after they blew them to indicate the initial face-off.
Penalty?  What's a penalty?  To their credit, they were consistent
throughout the entire game.  But then, when you don't call ANYTHING,
it's not that hard to be consistent.  For the record, there were 2
minors called on Wisconsin and 1 minor on Michigan, along with two
pairs of concidentals called.  Total.  That's it.  Apparently,
elbowing is not an infraction of the rules out east.  I'm surprised no
one got hurt with all of the two-handers and elbows flying around.

> Attendance: Not enough to warrant having the regional in Detroit

As much as I enjoy watching the regionals in Detroit, I have to admit
that folks around the Metro area apparently are not interested in
college hockey.  What a shame.  I would guess there were about 5-6
thousand for the MI/WI game, and I don't know about the LSSU game
afterwards.  For college hockey's sake, I hope they don't play the
regionals at the Joe for a long time.  (there were only 2,000 for the
Friday games, too).

Well, I find out this afternoon whether I am one of the lucky Michigan
student season ticket holders to get tickets for the Bradley.  With
all of the Michigan fans going down to New Orleans this weekend, I'm
not too worried.

So, C-YA in Milwaukee!

BTW - the NC$$ strikes again.  Look at this scheduling masterpiece:
The Michigan-Kentucky basketball game has been scheduled for 8:30
Saturday, April 3.  Now, if Michigan gets by Maine Thursday, Michigan
fans (not me, though), are going to have to get two TVs for the
Saturday games.  WHY? WHY? WHY do this?  It really wouldn't be that
difficult to schedule these games so there are no conflicts, no matter
WHO is playing.

Roger
Michigan Hockey Fan  --  For me the Fab Five consists of:
Roberts, Ouiment, Stewart, Harlock, and Shields.

Roger L. Spurgeon                 [log in to unmask]   |_  \    /  _|
Michigan Engineering `94                                 | \ \  / / |
MICHIGAN HOCKEY  --  1964 NCAA DIVISION I CHAMPIONS!!   _| | \  / | |_
DETROIT RED WINGS - JOHNNY O. - HE SHOOTS, HE SCORES!   |__|  \/  |__|
MUDDY THE MUD HEN SAYS "GEE, THE TIGERS REALLY SUCK!"      Go Blue!
"For lo, the winter is past, and the voice of the turtledove is once
 again heard in our land"              -Ernie Harwell