From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 1994 11:41:11 -0500
We've been calling it "Minnesota Hockey USA" for years. :-)  Seems
like most of their Team USA segments focus on the Minnesota kids, too.
They almost always give the scores of all WCHA games even if there are
no highlights, but you won't see any scores from other conferences
without game highlights.  And as Bri says, you also won't see many
highlights from non-WCHA games that were televised.

However, once you recognize that the show originates from Minnesota,
and that it was probably named CHUSA to get fans from outside
Minnesota/WCHA to watch, it all makes perfect sense.  You would expect
it to focus on those areas that have the largest viewership.  So I
don't worry about it.

As far as New England goes, I'd like to see NESN do a weekly half hour
Eastern show, kind of like Bruins Weekly.  It seems silly to me to try
to recap all of college hockey in half an hour (actually 22 minutes).

CHUSA *should*, among other things, put up the standings for each
conference at least at the breaks.  They seem to draw graphics out of
a hat each week - conference stats, upcoming tv games, etc.  You never
know what you're going to see.

There used to be a weekly half hour show on high school hockey in Boston
called (surprise) Hockey Night in Boston.  The budget was pretty low,
but they ran top 20 scorers from each division and many conference
standings each week, along with highlights from almost everywhere.  I
was watching a tape a little while ago that I had of all the shows
from 1985 (when my alma mater was making a run at the state title) and
nearly every player from the DivI or DivII top 10 went on to be a
significant player in college hockey.  Not to mention they had an
interview with former Billerica HS player Tommy Glavine - and they
hardly talked baseball. :-)
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<<< Color Voice of the (9-12-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>