From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 1994 23:43:51 CST
Carol writes:
> Well, since I am home-bound with a nasty head cold and I watched the game on
> TV, you get a short Friday night report.

Yeah, right, she just didn't want to go outside in the -12 degree weather (or
was it the -45 windchill?)  ;-)  Get well soon, Carol!

> Gopher goals were scored by Joe Dziedzic, Brian Bonin, and Nick Checco. The
> Tech goal was scored by Pat Mikesch.

I have to throw in my favorite piece of trivia here: all three Minnesota goals
were scored by former Mr. Hockeys (in chronological order yet!)  Had Darby
Hendrickson (Mr. Hockey, 1991) not been with the Olympic team, I'm sure
Minnesota would have won 4-1, and he would have scored in between Dziedzic (Mr.
Hockey, 1990) and Bonin (Mr. Hockey, 1992).  :-)

I don't know how it looked on TV, but, as the scuffle at the end of the game
indicated, this one was out of control at the end.  The referees (Ricci and
Waisanen) had lost control of the game already in the second period.  I'm really
concerned about what's going to happen tomorrow night.  I imagine they'll have
to come out and call it REALLY close in the first period in the hope that they
can avert a brawl.

Injury notes:  Gopher captain Chris McAlpine left the game.  Probably still
bothered by the "deep thigh bruise" that kept him out of the second game of the
Wisconsin series.  With fellow defender Charlie Wasley out for two weeks with a
knee injury (torn cartilage), this brings the Gophers down to 5 healthy D, and
means they might have to break up the Bonin-McHugh-Brink line that played so
well against Wisconsin and move Brink back to defense again.  There was some
mention that Tony Bianchi might be hurt, too.  That would break up the
all-senior first line (Bianchi-Dziedzic-Nielsen).

Arrgghh!  Just when the Wooger finally gets his lines set for a couple weeks in
a row...

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]         1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
[log in to unmask]              Ski-U-Mah!!!