Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 91 11:51:36 LCL
Mike Machnik writes:

> before becoming a full-fledged member in 1986.  So hang in there,
> Union, even if the start is rough; it will pay off.

   Speaking from experience, I would like to add that it can be rough even for
longstanding ECAC teams :).  The only good thing about this season for
Dartmouth is that the new coach, Ben Smith, has done an incredible job with
morale.  The team is still positive about playing hockey and recruiting is
going very well (too bad we can't just get a first round draft choice... or
two... or three...).
   Our most recent game was a 7-3 loss to Cornell (Mike Bracco, Dartmouth
goalie, had 43 saves at the end of two periods!).  Yet despite the score, the
team tried throughout almost the entire game, with our the final goal occuring
late in the third period (admittedly, Cornell was not pressuring as much, but
that is not the point).  I have come to have tremendous respect for the
individuals on the team.  They know WHAT to do during the game, but often
cannot execute the play (ie - our opponents have more talent).  YET, Dartmouth
rarely gives up - they are always trying to improve and play the best they
can.  That must be difficult after the abyssmal season they have had so far.
   Maybe next year...
                                    - Bob Gross, Dartmouth