From:
Mike Zak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 91 13:13:42 EST
Here are the summaries for the games played Saturday night.

CLARKSON 8, RPI 5

             Goals
Clarkson   4   3   1    8
RPI        2   2   1    5

	Everyone was frisked again upon entry to Walker Arena.  No bomb went
off either night, thankfully.
	It was a much saner, less schizophrenic, Clarkson team that played
last night.  They played fro the whole 60 minutes and looked good.
However it was Dargarty of RPI who scored the first goal of the night @
2:38 of the first period.  RPI would score first each period.  It didn't
take too long for Cerbo to start calling some penalties.  We think that
he reffed the SLU-RPI game.  With the teams skating 4-on-4, Torrey
scored for Clarkson @ 4:29.  Just over a minute later at even strength,
Craig Conroy scored for Clarkson @ 5:43.  But with the teams at 4 a
peice again, Dave Trombley broke in on Kennedy all alone and scored
14:05.  Clarkson was playing well, controlling most of the play and
really applying pressure during the 4-on-4 play.  So it looked good when
two more minors were called to each team.  With the face off in the
Clarkson zone, Juneau won the draw back to Coles who passed it across to
Hilditch.  Hilditch's shot beat Rogles who went down too early @ 15:26
to make it 3-2 Clarkson.  Ever since The Hockey News rated Mark Green as
one of the dissappointing players, he has been playing much better.
Grenn got a timely goal @ 19:39, using physical strength to fend off an
RPI defenseman and beat Kennedy between the legs with a back-hander.
	In the second period RPI came out skating hard, controlling the play
for the first 7 or 8 minutes of the game.  Juneau scored early @ :46 to
make it 4-3.  On Clarkson's first shot of the period, Kennedy let a Mike
Cassleman shot from the boards go in @ 3:09.  With RPI still pressing,
Clarkson had a penalty called on them by Cerbo.  All night ref Cerbo was
calling penalties as he trailed the play.  It never seemed like he was
on top of it, always ten to fifteen feet behind.  It was LeBlanc scoring
from Juneau and DeCosty @ 5:05 on the pp to bring the game back to a
one goal lead, 5-4.  With about 11 minutes left in the second period,
Clarkson started coming on again as RPI started to tire.  Hugo Belanger
scored @ 10:16.  Mike Kozak, who couldn't score with a shovel against
UVM, sent Kennedy to the bench with Clarkson's seventh goal @ 14:16.
Clarkson had one shot go into the upper corner of the goal, hit the
upper pipe and come back out without a goal being signalled.  Most fans
saw it go in, or wish they did.
	With Clarkson playing a little tighter on defense, it took Roberts
until 4:42 to score on the pp.  Clarkson was able to control the play
for most of the final period.  Rogles did make some good saves and
Little was kept busy in RPI's goal.  Mark Green got his second goal of
the night, 6 in the last 3 games, at 14:06 to put the game out of
reach.  The game got a little scrappy at the end, but not as bad as the
game at SLU.
	I don't want to seem like a biased fan or a whiner, but with the 45
penalties, including  10 10 minute misconducts at the SLU game, and what I
saw at last night's game, I have no respect for the RPI team at all.
There style of play is very cheap, taking runs at the goalie and giving
him hits after the whistle, a lot of hooking, slashing and other stick
work, with Coles and Mazzella being exceptionally guilty.  They try to
get retalliation penalties called.  There was also a lot of holding and
sitting on guys who had fallen to the ice.  We offered to get Hilditch a
book at one point.  This seems to be there style of play, nothing has
really changed over the past 8 years I have been watching them play at
Walker.

Vermont 5, SLU 4

       Goals
UVM  1  2  2   5
SLU  4  0  0   4

	UVM's come back had fallen short against Clarkson Friday night, but
they were able to start it a period later last night and beat SLU with 4
unanswered goals.  Eric Lacroix got the first goal of the night @ 3:48,
makinking it 1-0, SLU.  Browne of UVM tied it up @ 7:17.  SLU would go
on to score their last three goals of the game and go up 4-1, scoring
were M. Lappin, E. Lacroix and Allain.  The last goal came at 10:22.
SLU was really flying in the first half of the period.  UVM did get back
on track and slowed things down to their speed and scored the next four
goals without giving up one to beat SLU.  Browne, Jagod, LeClair and
Creagh scored for UVM.  Kuntar had 32 saves for SLU.  Neary had 3 and
Millham had 19 for UVM.  I think that UVM will be a team to watch during
the rest of the season.  They just might surprise some team in the
play-offs (I really do hope that it's not Clarkson).

Last I heard it was Brown 5, Yale 4.  Cornell was beating Dartmouth, 5-2
or something like that.

After this weekend the bottle-neck at the top of the standings has
broken up some.  Next weekend might bring some more changes as Clarkson
and SLU travel to play Colgate and Cornell.  No more ties please!

Mike Zak
Clarkson '87, '90,... (Fall '91?!)