Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1993 03:53:54 EST

> I don't know what you mean by a standard size rink.  The NCAA rule book
> says - "As nearly as possible, the dimensions of the rink shall be 200feet long
> and 100 feet wide."
>
> I think pro rinks are probably that size for the most part (partly to
> keep players close so they can grab the opposition and fight with them
> rather than skate {;-^)}--).    I think 200x100 is teh prescribed
> Olympic size, but I can't quote a source at the moment.

200x85 is the pro standard......I wasn't aware that the college standard is
different.  In fact, all new NHL rinks are required to be that
size.  Ignoring TB and Ottawa which I have no data on, the only NHL rinks that
are not 200x85 are: Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, and San Jose.  All of those cities
are building or planning new rinks so soon the entire NHL will have "standard"
rinks.

As for colleges, I don't have comprehensive data.  I do know that the rink at
RPI is 200x85.  Further I know that Harvard's rink is somewhere in the
neighborhood of 205x85.  Lastly, I believe the new rink at UMass is Olympic
size.

Does anyone have a complete list of rink sizes for Div. I?  I would be shocked
if more than a few are even close to the 200x100 ideal.  It would be typical
of the NCAA to set a target that is unattainable for the overwhelming majority
of existing facilities.  As new rinks are built we'll have a strange hodge podge
of ice sizes.  That must be a fun adjustment for coaches and players...let's add
more to the home ice advantage......

--
Jon Greene
Data General Corp., Westboro, MA