From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1993 23:29:39 EST
Got a piece of mail just after my post asking:
>       Just a quick question (since you didn't mention this in your
>wrap).  Is there a clear reason in the seeding criteria for why Michigan
>was seeded ahead of Miami?

Sorry for forgetting this, had a lot of things running through my mind and
I wanted to get that out in a hurry.  First, remember my "answers" are not
official, only speculation based on the information available to me (which
is also available to all who know the criteria that are looked at and have
been keeping track of the results all season).

I believe Michigan got the 2nd seed and bye ahead of Miami because they had
the edge in win %, rating (close), CommOpp, and record against teams under
consideration, while Miami only had the edge in SOS.  Head to head was even
at 1-1-1.  Remember: standing either in regular season conference play or
conference tourney play is NOT a factor.  Miami's first-place finish got
them the top seed in the CCHA playoffs and a somewhat easier road through
the CCHA tourney (didn't have to face LSSU till the final), but it doesn't
come into play for the NC$$ tourney.  I do not believe that any so-called
lack of respect for Miami was a consideration.

BTW, if anyone has any questions I might be able to answer (since I doubt
many people went through a lot of trouble to figure out all the
numbers :-)), best way to reach me during the day is at
[log in to unmask]  I should put that in my .sig here at Merrimack,
and I think in fact I will.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*