From:
Chris Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 91 12:36:12 EST
Just a quick note on Saturday's UNH-BU game at Snively Arena in Durham.
The Terriers were missing a bunch of players -- Amonte is injured and 3
others hadn't returned from the World Junior Championship.  UNH went up 1-0
in the 1st period on Riel Bellegarde's goal from the left circle.  BU tied
later in the first on a shorthanded goal (the name escapes me at the
moment).  Dave Tomlinson put BU ahead with a powerplay goal in the 2nd, but
Glen Stewart tied it on a controversial goal a few minutes later.  The goal
was a chip-shot rebound that (from my vantage point) clearly went in,
bouncing off the top netting.  Inexplicably, the goal judge never turned on
the red light.  The referee (Cole, I think) overruled the goal judge and
awarded the goal.  That drove BU coach Jack Parker crazy.  In fact, Parker
did nothing but complain all night.  To his credit though, his complaining
worked.  Parker had a fit when BU was called for an obvious too many men on
the ice penalty that put them down 2 men.  All his screaming and yelling
managed to intimidate Cole, who took all of about 10 seconds to call a
phantom high-sticking penalty on UNH.

BU went ahead early in the 3rd on a goal by McCann (or something like
that).  UNH defenseman David MacIntyre tied it on a turn-around slapshot
from the left point with about 10 minutes left.  In the overtime, UNH had
the best chance when a loose puck drifted toward the BU end with UNH
forward Kevin Thomson hot in pursuit.  BU goalie Scott Cashman came
charging out in an attempt to knock the puck away before Thomson arrived,
but mis-timed it.  They both got there at the same time, and both the puck
and Cashman's stick went flying away.  UNH could only keep it in the zone
for a few seconds before Cashman was able to retrieve his stick.

UNH freshman goaltender Jeff Levy was the big star for UNH, with 47 saves.
Cashman had 34 saves.  UNH remains undefeated at home (8-0-1, I believe).
UNH travels to BC on Tuesday, then plays Providence at home next Saturday.
They then play at BU on the 15th, then host Maine on the 18th.  That is
what I would call a tough schedule :->.  We'll see just how good the
Wildcats are in the next 2 weeks.

[Gee, I guess it wasn't such a "quick note" after all...Oh well.]
Chris Craig            Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand.
[log in to unmask]                    Ignorance and prejudice and fear
...!mit-eddie!mit-athena!crcraig   walk hand in hand. -- Rush, "Witchhunt"