From:
"Anthony J. Buffa" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony J. Buffa
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:48:38 -0800
Hi All:

RPI and Union, pretty sure, award them too. The Ivies get around it by
giving non-athletic scholarships to athletes ... semantics if you ask
me. We had a local gal here who got into Brown on the basis of decent
academics, but superb tennis player ... and she got a financial aid
package... not based on athletics, of course :-)

==============
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> > 1. No scholarships.  Johnnie can go to Yale for $100k or Michigan for free.
> >

> This may be picking nits (then again, maybe not), but whether to award
> athletic scholarships in the ECAC is left up to the individual schools, and
> is not a league rule.  Clarkson has awarded them for quite some time, and
> Saint Lawrence has recently begun awarding them as well.  While I can't say
> for sure, I do believe that some of the other non-Ivies also do.
>
> The Ivies, of course, do not.  That's part of their tradition/charter.  But,
> as has been stated here before by others, there *are* ways around that, such
> as awarding other types of scholarships, grants, etc.  In this case, though,
> there is a distinction between an ECAC rule an the restrictions put in place
> by the Ivy League and individual schools.
======

Someone has to bring everyone up to 34 games (the more the better). It
just isnt realistic to ask teams to compete (esp early in the season)
against teams that have already played 5-10 games.

> That said, its clear that significant changes are needed in the ECAC, if it
> is to regain competitiveness.  Keeping the schedule artificially short
> (c'mon, 2 GAMES!?!) is just silly.  Its the only conference where not
> everybody plays by the same rules (the Ivies only schedule 29 games, and
> start their practices even later) and half the conference plays for an
> additional title (the Ivy League title, of course).
======

If we had two divisions: 6 non ivies, 6 ivies. Then play 4 against each
of yoru division teams (20 game) and one each (travel partners) against
the other division, for a total fo 26 league games, more in line with
the other leagues, and that would still leave EIGHT games for nonconf,
about waht we have now in the ECAC: 22 league games, average of 30
total, 8 non conf.

> I've advocated splitting the ECAC between the Ivy League and the non-Ivies
> (call them the Empire conference if you like, since all of them are in NY
> state except for UVM, who is not far outside the state line).  Part of me
> would like to see an outright split, but that would kill some important
> rivalries.  Two divisions could be made, to keep the existing rivalries
> intact, but keep the conference schedule more biased toward playing
> in-division teams (perhaps 2 games against in-division teams and 1
> other-division teams).
======

YOu could to top 4 in each division playoffs and two winners play.

> Hmmm. That would make seeding the conference tournament pretty tricky.  Maybe
> an outright split is the better idea.  At least then all the teams within
> both sides of the split would be playing on level ice.
========

I still think a league totally separate from the ECAC would be best
(unless the ECAC admin gets its hockey act together, which seems highly
unlikely given their past history) ... with or without the ivies.

Tony Buffa
RPI '64