From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1992 02:39:15 EST
Steve Christopher writes:
>As a former long-time resident of the Spokane area, I'd like to let
>Mike and others know that Gonzaga University (NOT my institution of
>employment--I was at one of their competitors/rivals, Eastern
>Washington U.) has not only a long and well-regarded history as an
>academic institution but also one in (some) intercollegiate sports.
>I was surprised and interested to see that at one  time GU had a
>Div I team (I believe now they have hockey as a club sport)...

Gonzaga is listed in the all-inclusive Western standings from 1937-38
to 1939-40.  Here are their records:

1937-38 15-3-3
1938-39 16-9-2
1939-40 7-22-2

I believe there were no divisions until at least the late 1940s in the
West (the West is listed as "NC$$ West Division I" starting in 1947-48, and
just "Western Standings" before.  So it may not be correct to characterize
Gonzaga's program as DivI.  In the East, many of the teams that are now in
DivIII are listed in "NC$$ East Division I" through 1960-61, and in the ECAC
DivI through 1963-64.  For example, the 1963-64 ECAC standings include 29
teams, among them MIT (last).  This leads me to believe that the divisions
actually began to exist in 1964-65.  Merrimack, in fact, was first DivI from
1956-67 through 1963-64, then DivII until DivII was abolished, and then DivI
again.  In fact, Merrimack is listed among the ECAC DivI standings for the
league's first three years.  They are listed fifth in the East DivI in 1956-57
although they only played five games.

>One of the things which caught my eye about this was the LOW TCHCR
>ranking of Alaska-Anchorage, which nonetheless made the tournament.
>Is my memory correct--the one which tells me the best-regarded
>Div I independent must be invited (apparently regardless of record)?

Yes, UAA was clearly the best Independent last year but wasn't ranked highly
by TCHCR as compared to this year because of record and weaker schedule.  But
they were the highest Independent in TCHCR.  The committee has been required
to extend a bid to an Independent since 1988, but that bid will go away after
this season.  Thus the scramble to get into conferences.  Bids have been
extended to Merrimack (1988), St Cloud (1989), and UAA (1990, 1991) under
this regulation.  Merrimack and UAA (1991) are the only ones to win series,
and UAA was the only one to do it by sweeping an opponent.  Merrimack won a
total goals series over Northeastern despite splitting the game results, but
we won't talk about that. :-)  The Warriors went on to split at 1988 champ
Lake Superior but lost that series on total goals, which was eliminated
after that tournament.
---
Mike Machnik        [log in to unmask]       [log in to unmask]