From:
Carl Sussman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl Sussman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 23:35:23 -0500
>Championship.  While it is great to have a new winner, how you play the game
>does matter.  Brown used ugly tactics and came away with no honor.

An interesting thing happened tonight.  While I was at Meehan Auditorium
watching Brown/Princeton Game 3, the announcer informed the crowd that the
Brown Women's team had won the ECAC championship over heavily-favored New
Hampshire.  The crowd instantly burst into wild cheers, but their elation
was immediately quashed when the announcer informed them that the Official
Arbiter of Honor had declared that Brown no longer had any.  The crowd,
outraged that such a dishonorable group of people could represent their
school, immefiately started to boo, and a massive riot damn near followed.

At the end of the second period, the women were brought on to the ice to be
recognized.  But, apparantly having heard that they were no longer
honorable in Mr. Hungerford's eyes, they hung their heads in utter
dejection.  The crowd, unappeased by the scarlet 'H' that each women wore
on her shirt, booed loudly and threw stones.

Reacting swiftly, the Brwon Athletic Department announced that, in deep
appreciation for Mr. Hungerford's sagacity and vigilance, it has changed
the name of the team to the Brown University Dishonorable Women's Ice
Hockey Team.

It was truly a dark day for Brown athletics. . .

Carl Sussman
Dishnorable University '96
Harvard Law '99