Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 09:50:19 -0700
At 02:11 AM 12/14/97 -0500, Bill Fenwick wrote:

>>Inside the Whittemore Center in Durham, NH, hangs a banner celebrating
>>the Wildcats 1997 Hockey East championship.  I suppose the University of
>>New Hampshire offers a course detailing the strategies Dewey utilized in
>>his 1948 victory over Truman.
>
>An admirable try at a backhanded slap... of course, the problem is that UNH
>*did* win a share of the regular-season Hockey East championship (along with
>BU) in 1997, which I assume is what the banner is for.  BU got the higher
>playoff seed, along with the regular-season-champ auto bid (which became a
bye
>when they won the Hockey Eat tournament), thanks to tiebreakers, but the two
>teams were considered co-champions for the regular season.

Ahhh yes but generally speaking, isn't the "winner" of the division the one
that wins the tournament? According to Hockey East, "the Lamoriello Cup is
awarded to the conference champion at the Hockey East Championship
Tournament."

At least as far as HEA is concerned, I was under the assumption that
choosing a "regular season champion" was only for the purpose of seeding
the Hockey East champion and granting an automatic berth to the NCAAs.

After all, if other teams raised banners due to their regular season
performance, there'd be one more national championship banner hanging in
Ann Arbor <g>

greenie
S P O O N  ! !
(go BU)

Since BU dropped football, does that mean Silber fumbled?
Real grass at Nickerson for the *real* football! Yippee!