Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:59:10 -0700
[note: much of this is written in humor, so don't get to ticked]

First let me say that the BU-BC hockey rivalry is a wonderful thing with a
long, storied history. I'm also very glad to see that BC has newfound
success and the rivalry is regaining steam.

However, given that this thread began in response to someone wondering if
there are any rivalries that compare to some college football rivalries...
I offer up these considerations.

If the BU-BC rivalry was as intense as the major football rivalries:

Tickets would be sold out for these games within an hour on the first day
of ticket sales each season.

Front page articles would appear on all three major Boston papers each time
the teams met in the season.

Most sports fans (in general) in Boston would be able to tell you the names
of one or two players besides Drury and Reasoner... and I'm not sure if
most can remember those two right now.

Vegas (and Boston) books would see some sweet action.

BU would actually build a better arena than Conte, which BC would then
renovate, which would then cause BU to modify, which in turn would cause BC
to lease the Fleet Center as its home ice, which in turn would cause BU to
build the Silberdome.

There would never be an empty seat for any game -- EVER. Regardless of
who's ranked where, who plays for who, or what the records are.

Tony would *still* wear his white(ish), ragged, fading, "Is BC really
necessary?" undershirt for all to see. Waitaminit... he still does <g>

At least one of the BU-BC matchups during the year (aside from the
possibility at the Beanpot) would be held at the Fleet center.

Somehow I just can't picture a burning effigy of Jerry York, hanging
outside the Geroge Sherman Union at BU. Ceglarski, maybe... but York?

Scalped tickets would cost at least 30 bucks each. Friends of mine got
seats for the game at BU for $25/pair right at gametime.

The fans at Conte would appear to be a grat morass of maroon and gold; the
stands at Walter Brown a sea of blood.

Any game between BU and BC would be a big deal. They'd even pack 'em in for
the long, storied candlepin bowling rivalry.

The school mascots, Rhett and Eddie (the Eagle? It fits) would be seen in a
Sportscenter commercial, fighting throughout the Bristol offices.

Dead fish would once again be thrown onto the ice by BC fans (who remembers
that from the late 80's??)

Purdue chickens would again be chucked onto the ice by BU fans (also late 80s)

A BU-BC wouldn't be relegated to WABU-68; at least Fox SportsNet (ooooh!)
would broadcast one of them, and not at 3 AM (maybe midnight)

For that matter, both of last weekend's games would have been televised, at
least on 68.

It wouldn't be such a rarity for Sean McDonough to call the game.

Everyone would know who the Governor, the Mayor, et al root for.

Speaking of sportscasters, Bob "why can't we get players like that?" Lobel
would find his way into the broadcast booth, too.

BC would find a way to fit "B-U-SUCKS!" into the Eagles fight song.

Amonte and Heinze would regularly beat the crap out of each other.

There would be more BC fans on Hockey-L (doh!)

greenie
S P O O N  ! !
(go BU)

Since BU dropped football, does that mean Silber fumbled?
Real grass at Nickerson for the *real* football! Yippee!