From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:54:47 -0500
At 09:32 AM 2/13/97 -0600, Rowe, Thomas wrote:

>How about a rule that all sticks used in the game have to be certified
>legal before the game by being measured by the linesman (linesmen) and
>tagged with a marker that would be hard to transfer to another stick.
Now there's an interesting idea. But I have a question to all you
hockey players (and wannabes). How much of an advantage is the extra curve?
If there are no compelling reasons for limiting the curvature
(like safety reasons), maybe the answer is to delete the rule.
Then there is no advantage to anyone. I've heard that the more
curve on a stick, the easier it is to lift the puck. That might be
an advantage when shooting, but might be a disadvantage when passing.
Without the rule, each player (or coaching staff) could use the curved
stick in its "strategic arsenal" (so to speak).

How about it? Is there any compelling reason for the rule other than
just because?
Mark Lewin
Class of '69