From:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:49:52 CST
     >Date:    Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:09:04 -0500
     >From:    "Sawicky, Charles x96828b3" <[log in to unmask]>.
     >Subject: illegal sticks

     >I think all this talk about illegal sticks can be related to the
     >problem that the NHL had with oversized goalie equipment.  It is not
     >the players (in most cases) that are making their sticks illegal.
     >The manufacturers of the equipment just make over curved sticks so a
     >player could unknowingly play with an illegal stick.  One time before
     >a scrimmage, one of the refs measured some of our sticks "for fun"
     >and most of them were illegal and they were sticks that we got from
     >our supplier.  I do not think you can blame players for it, like I
     >said, in most cases. Also, as a player, I think that it is really a
     >cheap move if a coach tries to catch a player with an illegal stick
     >since a lot of people have them.  It really does not make a
     >difference anyway. Like a lot of people have said, there is that
     >"non-verbal agreement" between players as well as coaches not to even
     >worry about it, but in the heat of competition, you have to take
     >advantage of what ever you can.  It is college hockey.

     >chuck sawicky

     Let me speak on behalf of all the equipment reps out there(as some of
     you out there know I spent nearly three years as an equipment rep).

     Not one single manufacturer sets out to make an illegal stick!  If a
     player is purchasing an illegal stick it is because he is requesting
     it be made that way or he is purchasing the pattern/stick of someone
     who requested it made that way.

     Sitting in the bleachers I can tell an illegal stick just by the model
     number.

     Goalie equipment for college pro players is custom made and the
     majority leaves the factory illegal( how many of us know goalies with
     their own sewing kits for "alterations"??), by request.  I know of
     several instances where goalies have said they would change
     manufacturers if their pads were not made to certain(illegal) specs.

     Additionally many sticks are of an illegal length(think of a certain
     very tall future hall of famer with a bad back and a penguin on his
     chest)

     ps  Chuck, Army's reps are related to the coach