From:
Marilyn Manson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marilyn Manson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 19:23:26 -0600
I just wanted to throw in a few thoughts about posting to hockey-l.  I
strongly agree with everyone that the amount of private "hate" mail
received by those who post, must be on the increase, if my situation is
any indication.  I have already received several pieces of flame mail
this year, which is up well ahead of my average (one a semester).  This
leads me to believe that one of the following situations is happening:

One, there has been an influx of new people to the group, and those
people do not understand how to POLITELY reply to a message, or they
cannot appreciate  the friendly banter which hockey-l is known for.

Two, some people must be forgetting who is making the posts.  Are we
professional sportswriters?  NO!  Have we taken journalism classes?  Some
of us, again answer no! (heheh..my posts show that..don't they?) Therefore,
people should not be shocked if one or two mistakes appear in a post.
Basically, the people who post do it simply as a SERVICE to the public.

Three, people are forgetting that hockey-l is meant for observations AND
opinions surrounding college hockey.  Think of this as a sports page with
an attitude :-)  If I go watch team X play, and they play terribly, there
is nothing wrong with saying that, as long as I back it up.  This is a
big difference between the group and the webpages.  If I want stats, I go
to uscollegehockey.com.  If I want opinions, I will check the posts.

....I am now off my podium :-)
                                                        charles
-
http://www.aero.und.edu/~cbell/hockey.htm
-
P.S.  Once again, sorry about my UMD post.  I was sick all last week,
and my mental condition was very poor (not that it is ever that good ;-)  )