From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 12:59:29 -0600
> Date:         Sun, 21 Apr 1996 13:48:26 UT
> From: Richard Tuthill <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: Air Force Tentative 96-97 schedule
>
>         Charlie's post of the Air Force schedule brings up an interesting
> topic. Why are the service academies so uneven in their scheduling?
>
>         I mean,  REALLY!   Colorado College followed by Villanova???
> Villanova is not even in the ECAC East let alone being one of the
> stronger "upper level" D3 teams.   The same inconsistency was
> exhibited by the Army schedule last year.

I'm answering this with my Faculty Athletics Representative hat on, so
i'll try to not let my personal biases show through and just present
the facts:

Air Force (and Army, i believe) have pressure on them to play an
"official Division 1 schedule" which means at least 20 games against
Division I opponents.

Villanova, is a division 1 school in the eyes of the NCAA.  Hence,
their Ice hockey team is a NCAA Division 1 ice hockey team.  Even
though the institution chooses not to provide the level of support of
say Michigan or Minnesota to the hockey team, the team is, by rule, a
division 1 team.

As such, games played against villanova and other schools of that ilk
(currently those schools are Canisius, Connecticut, Fairfield, Holy
Cross, and Iona) count towards satisfying the need to play 20 games
against Division 1 competition.

charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
        http://chico.uccs.edu/~cdash
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369