From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 21:55:05 -0600
=46rom today's (4/18/96) Minnesota Daily:
Topics:
Recruiting:  Nate Miller to MN
             Petersens to CC
             MN needs forwards
Bonin, Crowley to play in World Championships
Out-of-state recruits tempting

Hockey team misses out on two recruits

Jeff Sherry - Staff Reporter

The Gophers hockey team received some good news, but more bad news
this week in spring recruiting efforts to restock its forward lines.

Nate Miller, who led the USHL's Twin Cities Vulcans in scoring this season,
orally committed to attend Minnesota earlier this week. But two other top
recruits, Ian and Toby Peterson of Bloomington, committed to play for
Colorado College on Wednesday.

NCAA rules prevent Gophers coach Doug Woog from commenting on the recruits
until they sign.

Miller, a 6-foot-2, 195-pound center from Anoka, will provide the Gophers
with the physical presence and right-handed shooting they need up front. He
often played on the same line with Minnesota freshman Reggie Berg while
growing up.

The Peterson brothers were the two other forwards considered to be highest
on Minnesota's wish list. Ian, a right-handed winger, graduated in 1994 and
has spent the last two years playing in the USHL. Toby stood out at
Bloomington Jefferson this season as a junior center and is trying to get
the necessary credits to graduate this year.

Minnesota probably needs to sign at least one more forward before next
season. Six senior forwards from this year's team used up their eligibility,
and three other reserves are not expected back. Woog said Clint Johnson and
Jason Seils will not return for academic reasons, and he thinks Tom Nevers
will stick with professional baseball full-time next year.

Including Miller and fall recruits Dave Spehar and Rico Pagel, the Gophers
now have 13 forwards for 12 lineup positions.

"This is the fewest number we've ever had up there," Woog said. "It would be
nice to get that number up to 14 or 15."

Bonin, Crowley go abroad

Gophers senior Brian Bonin and sophomore Mike Crowley were named to the U.S.
National Team that will compete at the World Championships in Vienna,
Austria later this month.

Bonin and Crowley were informed of their roster spots Tuesday and are flying
to join the team this morning. Bonin, who was in Mexico on vacation with the
Gophers' other seniors this week, had to scramble to make travel plans back
to Minnesota.

The two All-Americans will be playing with three former Gophers on the U.S.
National Team: Darby Hendrickson of the NHL's New York Islanders, Craig
Johnson of the Los Angeles Kings and Tom Pederson of the San Jose Sharks.

"This will be a great experience for me," Crowley said. "I'll be playing
with the guys I watch score those big goals on ESPN and SportsCenter. It'll
be fun to play with them and see what they're like off the ice. I'm looking
forward to it."

Bonin was not available for comment. His father, Phil, said Brian will not
play for or negotiate a contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins -- the team
that holds his NHL rights -- until next season.

Out-of-state recruits tempting

Since the Gophers' season ended last month, Woog has heard the annual cry
from some fans to start recruiting out-of-state players. Woog said Tuesday
that he isn't planning on changing the policy, but he has considered it.

"I've said that it would take a real special player," Woog said. "We've
entertained that thought before. I don't see it happening as long as we're
able to get the top state players, but it's tempting."

Two years ago Woog invited Alaska native Brian Swanson to come for a campus
visit, but Swanson declined because of the pressure he anticipated he would
experience as the team's only non-Minnesotan. Swanson went on to win WCHA
Rookie of the Year honors this season at Colorado College.

"That wasn't 100 percent going to happen," Woog said. "It was one of those
things where I had one leg on each side of the fence. Until it happens, I'd
say we're not going to change anything. Sometimes my head says it would be a
good thing to do, then my heart says no."
=A9The Minnesota Daily

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!
Ski-U-Mah!!!