From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 18:24:29 -0600
Also from the Finals Week Minnesota Daily:

Gophers' NCAA destination to be known March 17

Jeff Sherry - Staff Reporter
Related Links: Golden Gopher Hockey

MILWAUKEE -- Teams across the country are trying to position themselves for
favorable draws in the NCAA hockey tournament, and Minnesota is no
exception. But Rick Comley, chairman of the NCAA Hockey Committee, said the
Gophers will probably not receive a first-round bye when the tournament
pairings are announced March 17, despite its weekend title.

=46our teams -- the top two seeds in the east and west regionals -- get
first-round byes. Colorado College and Boston University have wrapped up
byes in the West and East, respectively, which leaves one open slot in each
region.

Minnesota's chance for one of those spots is slim because two other Western
teams, Lake Superior and Michigan, are ranked above them in the power
ratings.

"It has been determined that one and two in the West will be from the West
region and one and two in the East will be from the East region," Comley
said. "You really can't find it in writing as a cold, hard fact, but that is
the procedure."

Another rule says at least one team from each region must play in the other
region. So there cannot be six western teams playing in the West Regional,
which will be held in East Lansing, Mich., on March 22.

Last week's power ratings showed Minnesota in fifth position. Lake Superior
and Michigan swept their CCHA playoff series over the weekend and are likely
to end up in the West Regional. Comley said the WCHA playoff title holds no
weight in the seeding procedure.

"You want to try to set up good games because you have pressure for
revenue," Comley said. "You can't play with (the top two seeds); you can
adjust three through six to help the draw. You're probably going to end up
with five Western schools in East Lansing, and very likely three of them
would be Michigan-related schools."

=46our schools -- Michigan, Michigan State, Lake Superior State and Western
Michigan -- are located within the state, which gives the Gophers a good
chance of going east.

That would probably give Minnesota an easier shot at reaching the final
four, provided it doesn't get put in Boston University's bracket. If the
Gophers are seeded third they would have to get past the sixth- and
third-rated teams to reach the final four. No Eastern schools other than BU
are higher than Minnesota in the power ratings

"If I were Minnesota, I would love to be the third seed out east," Colorado
College coach Don Lucia said. "I'll tell you what, I'd almost rather trade
1-West for 3-East. Most of those (Eastern) teams are one line and maybe a
good goaltender."

=A9The Minnesota Daily

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!