From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 00:06:37 -0400
First, on expansion -

Much has been made of Mankato, etc., and the possible expansion
consequences.  Imagine, if you will, the East teams now playing at the club
level trying to make the jump, and with their resources...Penn, Penn State,
Rutgers, to name some.  What kind of an effect it would have on "eastern"
rivalries, eh ?

Next, on the "thread of the week" - picking those coaches.

Now, here's a name entirely ignored in this "greatest coaches" thread.
This is a man who went to the NHL front office from college, and most said
he would flop.  Well, he went on to build a Stanley Cup champion, who no
one favored to win when they did.  His career in the NCAA was marked, most
believe by his idea to create a super East league, which became Hockey
East.

I'll leave all you HOCKEY-L ers to fill in his college career coaching
stats, but I believe them to be superior when compared to others mentioned
in this thread.  Frankly, I'm not a numbers guy.

But, wouldn't it be nice for someone to entice back to the college ranks ....
Lou Lamoriello (with Chris Terreri as his goalie coach !)

And if you think it would never happen, I'll give you another name, this
one you've seen on this thread - Red Berenson.  Hell, I remember him from
his NHL coaching days, wondering WHY he would EVER "step down" to college
hockey.  How little I knew as a child...

        ****** If you can read this, thank your monitor *******