From:
"Sara M. Fagan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara M. Fagan
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 12:44:03 -0400
> From: IN%"[log in to unmask]"  "John Haeussler"     5-DEC-1995 12:01
>
> And, regarding the St Lawrence nickname, with no intention
> of fanning the flames, I'll say the following.  I recently had the
> pleasure of researching Michigan's seven NCAA titles.  In
> the process, I encountered game reports from various SLU
> games...including their 1952 and 1956 semifinal losses to
> Michigan.  Admittedly this is a different period of journalism,
> but I recall them only being referred to as the Larries.  The
> Skating Saints may be their official moniker, but I've only
> picked that up from Hockey-L.  Here in Ann Arbor, SLU is
> still the Larries.  (Albeit, it's mighty rare to have SLU pop up
> in a conversation among Michigan hockey fans.)

Well, I have been reading the thread about St. Lawrence's nickname and I find
I must speak up.  I was at SLU from 1973-1977.  I can remember hearing the
nickname Larries in my early years.  I thought I remembered something about
changing the official nickname to the Skating Saints.  I went back to my
files from school and could find nothing about a nickname change.  I did,
however, find my programs from several games from those years. (Yes, I am a
bit of a pack rat, I am afraid.)  St. Lawrence used the nickname
"Skating Saints" back in 1974.  The drawing on the program of the Alumni game
in January 1974 show a hockey jersey with the word SAINTS on it.  Other
programs use the name Skating Saints on the cover and under the team photo.
It does seem to me that some older alums use the term "Larries" but most alums
use and prefer the nickname "Skating Saints".  Most often when I hear the term
Larries it is being used in a derogatory manner.  I think it would be nice if
people could refer to SLU by their chosen nickname - the SKATING SAINTS.

I apologize to all those who have read much more than they wanted to about
the nickname.

Sara
SLU '77
Lat's go SAINTS!