From:
"Klein, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klein, Steve
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 13:19:00 PST
About the only similarities I see between the current Red Berenson Wolverine
teams and Ron Mason's Spartans of a decade ago is dominance.
Funny how the more dominant a team's talent is, the more some people think
the team tends to the illegal.
With the talent Michigan has now and MSU had then, self-discipline, except
for a player or two, isn't usually a problem.
That's a problem on less talented teams.

Steve Klein
 ----------
Simply put, Michigan is big
and strong and likes to try to intimidate and get other teams out of their
game by taking a few penalties.  Botterill and Luhning in particular aren't
finicky about their actions being legal.  Going back a decade, this is what
I think of as Michigan State hockey, and it's why I have such a dislike of
Ron Mason's teams.
  Speaking of the Spartans, they look like a much improved team from last
year.  There weren't anything like the sloppy breakdowns that were the
dominant characteristic of their play every time I saw them last year.
(How many times did they let a Badger get behind the defense in last year's
regional?)  In the third period last night, they reverted to the incessent
and boring icing of the puck that I saw in the same game last year, but
that was two periods less than previously.

J. Michael Jackson