From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 22:05:35 EST
Got to agree with Geoff on this one.  There has definitely been a run on the
goalies, so to speak, in the ECAC.  It seems like forwards can assume it's
perfectly all right to bear down on the goaltender at full speed without even
bothering edge up when you approach the crease.  And of course the refs will
never call a penalty when the forward "snows" the opposing goaltender, to the
point where forwards can pretty much goad a goaltender with impunity.

When you talk about goading a goalie, and of course "snowing" him, I immediately
think of Steve Martins from Harvard.  In his freshman year he was pretty much
a speedster, but by his senior year he learned that his reputation allowed him
to get away with a lot of stuff, especially running goalies.  Not that I am
criticising Martins, he would have been stupid not to use whatever advantage he
could to get a team off its game.  But I can criticise the refs, who seem to be
more than willing to condone such behavior.
Brian Morris                    RPI Engineers--1995 ECAC Champions