From:
Bill Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 1995 19:57:49 -0500
Sorry this is so late, I had to squeeze hockey between work and the rest of
my life.

I managed to make it up to St. Cloud for friday's regular season opener and
had an absolutely fabulous time.  Finally, the team may be close to
leveling out with the established programs.

I have been following St. Cloud since 90-91 and this team is nothing like
the one I first saw.  A few thoughts:

I realize it is early in the season but I believe that with some experience
and maturation St. Cloud can be a fabulous team.  They came out skating
very fast and had flashes of true talent.  They would play slightly loose
and them seem to click in to real teamwork.  They would have quick, sharp
passing and great skating.

They attacked heavily when on the short end of a power play.  I have always
admired how the gophers push even harder when down and don't settle back
into a box protecting the goal.  I don't think St. Cloud sat back once on
friday.  in fact they looked like they were on the offensive even when
down.  Just after their fourth goal they took a seemingly less than
brilliant penalty.  Instead of worrying I looked at my friend and said
"this is just another chance to score a goal."  Sure enough they broke
through and scored shortly into the next UMD power play.

UMD was fairly flat in the beginning but came out extremely strong in the
second (I think it was the second).  SCS seemed a little shaken but pulled
together and shut them down. They always seemed to be willing to do the
work to hold on to their edge. Not always sure how but they kept trying.

Things were sailing along just fine in the third with a 6-0 lead until St.
Cloud got lax.  UMD scored three QUICK (all in less than 1 min) goals.
After I got over greiving the loss of the shutout, I began to feel guilty
for even thinking about which bar I would hit first instead of paying full
attention to the game.  After that wakeup call St. Cloud got their act
together and worked the rest of the game, seeing it all the way to victory.
Ultimately I think that the goals were good because it woke up the team.
The goals let them know that you can NEVER think you have the other guys
beat.

This is a team that is beginning to have a real established base of talent
and what appears to be a real work ethic no matter what situation they are
in.  I hope they can take this weekend to heart and contine to show the
willingness to work.

I am sorry that this is somewhat disjointed.  It is late and  I an tired,
but I did want to express some thoughts and let people know that maybe
there is hope!!!!

go huskies!
bill nelson

                                        *
St. Cloud State hockey is #1!!!!        * Bill and his Purple Barney
(Maybe not a fantasy?! . . . .)         * salute motorcyclists everywhere!!
                                        *
Go Huskies - and whoever is playing     * AMA--COG  (Concours Owners Group)
    the Gophers!!!                      *
                                        * Director All News Channel/
bill nelson                             *    Conus Communications
[log in to unmask]                   * Freelance whatever else!!
                                        *