From:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 1995 16:30:11 +0100
Mike J. asked a couple of questions:

>1) Why is "Screw BU and Harvard too" so popular as a chant at Lynah?

Before HE broke off from the ECAC, the two dominant teams of the ECAC were
Cornell and BU.  This led to an intense rivalry.  Originally, the Screw BU
cheer ended with "screw BU".  Only later was the "Harvard too" tacked on,
and since then has become a generic cheer (replacing Harvard with the
opponent at the time).  The fact that BU has been immortalized in this
cheer is a testament to the intensity of the rivalry.

>2) Why are fans (at Cornell and elsewhere) permitted to throw stuff=
> on the
>ice even the first time, especially when everyone knows it's going=
>occur?

Perhaps a better question is why is it that at other rinks, the crowd is
not given warnings after throwing things or the band is not for playing
while the puck is in motion, or after the warning they repeat the offense
and are not penalized?  I really wish the officials would be more
consistent in this matter.  Consistency would deter this kind of behavior
at all rinks.

As for the Snakepit of the ECAC, yes that has been Lynah's nickname for
quite sometime, and many an opponent has been quoted as saying he hates
coming here for just that reason.  It also works to Cornell's advantage
when the Red is playing in a loud building on the road, as the noise makes
the Cornell players feel right at home.  Unfortunately, with the problem
the program has been having lately, the Lynah Faithful, while still loud by
most rinks' standards, is not reaching it's full potential.

Paulette Dwen
Cornell '89
Let's Go Red!