From:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 19:07:00 C
Reed H Munson writes:

>I'm going to air my feelings about the SIEVE chant and UW fan's
>UNSPORTSMAN-LIKE conduct. All flames can be directed me off the list.

>Thank you

OK, I see.  Put down Badger fans in public, but don't expect a public
rebuttal.  Well, since I'm no fan of arguments on the Internet, I'll take it
easy.  And, I'm sure most people are getting sick of this by now.

>The UW fanatical Sieve chant has no logic. UW can be getting their butts
>handed to them by a vastly superior team and the band and fans will still
>do the sieve chant after a goal. Think about it!!! You're losing! You
>shouldn't be claiming that your opponent sucks when your losing.

Oh, so that's how it happens.  Cheers have to be logical.  I get it.  So,
spelling the name of your state, proclaiming the obvious (ICEING!!!), etc.
are the acceptable cheers.  YAWN!!  I guess I won't be going to sporting
events anymore.

Next time I'll just sit there and "Think about it!".  Then I'll mope the
whole time because we're losing and the whole experience will be lousy
because that's the way Reed said it should be.  Gosh no. . . .I shouldn't
have fun because my team's losing.

Wisconsin hockey is an event.  Of course it's much better when they win and I
die when they lose.  But I always have a hell of a time becaue it's a great
place to be.

>....I believe you should only do a sieve chant when your team has scored at
>least 3 goals on a goalie and your team is winning.

Now we've got prerequisites for cheers.  How about requiring Human
Psychology 101 too.  Next you'll be wanting everyone to have a note from
their mother.

>Now I won't claim that the student section in Mariucci Arena hasn't been
>know to do the sieve cheer. BUT... For one thing, the band doesn't start
>it.

And they are a very boring band.  One of the funniest comments I heard at the
Final Five was from a North Dakota fan that said: "Who rented the band?"  in
reference to the Gopher "One Song Will Travel" Band.

>They obviously don't want to be compared to the UW band and the U of M
>administration is sensitive about what kind of image the school and its
>fans portray to others.

I'm sure Pat Richter sits down at UW Atletic Dept. meetings and says: "Now
let's come up with ways to ridicule the other teams and make ourselves look
bad."  Sure, I bet it happens just like that.

>Ridiculing you opponent isn't cool.

Neither is ripping on Badger fans, the Badger Band and Wisconsin tradition.

>A sieve cheer doesn't catch on unless the crowd is really keyed up against
>an opponent....

You mean keyed up like Badger fans get against Minnesota?  Make up my mind.

>....or the goalie is obviously performing as a sieve.

Oh, well thank goodness that *WE* don't have to be restricted from SIEVEing
until we run into a goalie that the Badgers can blow away.  I'd have to learn
how to cross-stitch or do needle point so that I would have something to do
in the early parts of game.

>There's no reason fans shouldn't be fanatical about their schools. Fan is
>an abbreviation of the word fanatic. All I ask is that fans show
>sportsmanship.

And all I ask is that you lighten up.

Chuck
ON