From:
Steve Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 01:27:07 CST
As mentioned elsewhere on the list, Wisconsin defeated Minnesota-
Duluth in an unusual contest.  Unusual in that it was a "home" game
for UMD, yet played in Milwaukee.  Unusual in that it was the only time
I've seen the Badgers wear their red away jerseys at the Bradley Center,
perhaps the only time in front of a "home" crowd.  Unusual in that
Wisconsin played a pretty solid game and got good effort from everyone.
Unusual in that there were a minimum of bone-headed penalties.

Here are the stats as I had 'em - unofficial of course:

UW   1  3  2 -  6
UMD  0  2  1 -  3

Saves                             Shots
Daubenspeck, UW  10 13 11 - 34    UW    7 10 12 - 29
Lendzyk, UMD      6  7 10 - 23    UMD  10 15 12 - 37

Penalties                         Power Play
UW   12 - 40 min                  UW   2 for 6
UMD  13 - 42 min                  UMD  0 for 5

Scoring
1st Period
 1-0  UW   4:44  10-Carter unassisted
2nd Period
 2-0  UW   5:51  20-Sanderson (26-Mark Strobel, 1-Daubenspeck)
 2-1  UMD  6:33  20-Christian (28-Culic, 7-Fitzgerald)
 3-1  UW   8:58  10-Carter (23-Raygor, 4-Elick)
 4-1  UW  15:21  12-Spencer (16-Williams, 27-Mike Strobel)
 4-2  UMD 18:39  19-Ciccarello (32-Dzikowski, 10-Petrov)
3rd Period
 4-3  UMD   :40  29-Federenko (15-Lidster, 23-Romfo)
 5-3  UW   3:45  20-Sanderson (23-Raygor, 4-Elick) ppg
 6-3  UW  10:32  23-Raygor (24-Balkovec, 20-Sanderson) ppg

Referees: Kreger, Shepherd
Linesman: Brown
Attendance: 14,258

It was a fun game to be at, but weird because of the odd home/away
setup.  Wisconsin was introduced first, and that really seemed to
take a little of the normal pre-game steam out of the crowd.  It's
just such a habit to boo the visitors first, and the let it all out
for the home team.  After letting it all out for the "home" team first
there wasn't much left for the "visitors".  Weird.

Also, the programs were from UMD, with features on UMD players and
coaches, etc. and adds from Duluth-area advertisers.  I don't think
that I'll be visiting Duluth Dodge-Oldsmobile or listening to AM 610
KDAL anytime soon. :-)   I did like some of the features like The
Answer Man and Kerry Rodd's column.  My only gripe with the programs:
no score sheet!

I really liked the effort that Wisconsin put out today.  The one
example that sticks out in my mind was on the Badgers' 4th goal.
The Bulldogs had a hard rush into Wisconsin's end, and the Badgers
had 4 skaters right with the play.  Wisconsin quickly turned the
play around and skated into the Bulldog's end with a 4-on-2 advantage.
Mike Strobel left a drop pass just inside the blue line for Max
Williams who laid out a perfect pass to Jamie Spencer streaking in
from the right.  Lendzyk never had a chance.

I wonder if UMD knew what they were getting into when they agreed
to play at the Bradley Center.  To my recollection, the Badgers have
only lost once in this building (to BU), and they have pulled off
some remarkable victories too (beating eventual national champ Maine
in '91 (?) and this year's 2-OT comeback win over a strong Bowling
Green team).

I'm curious what the Duluth fans/media had to say about this game and
the wisdom of agreeing to the move to the BC.  I'm sure it paid off
for the Bulldogs in $$, but do the fans feel it was worth it?

--
Steve Manning         Milwaukee, WI           [log in to unmask]
     "Life's a long song, but the tune ends too soon for us all." - I.A.