From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 91 02:12:11 EDT
A few quick comments after seeing Friday's North-South game:

Anyone know why Shawn McEachern wasn't at the trials this past week?  He
and Amonte really shone against Dynamo Riga back in December and it will
be a serious blow if they do not go to France in 1992.  I hope to see them
at the next round of tryouts in August.  Amonte does have a clause in his
contract with the Rangers that allows him to play for Team USA if he wants.
Despite being in the Boston area, I'm out of touch with what's going on
regarding these two guys, so if anyone from BU or anywhere else has a clue,
please post.

Contrary to what some of the execs were saying on the telecast Friday night,
I haven't seen enough yet to make me believe that the 1992 US Olympic Team
will be more talented than 1988.  Of course, talent doesn't equal a better
team, but I'm still a little worried.  And I know it's wrong to base my
opinion on Friday's game, but I was disappointed for the most part in the
defensive play, and I think that could be a weak point for Team USA.  Still,
I know that this may change as a team is developed and learns to play
together.

I see goalies like Dunham and Heinke as being solid candidates for 1994,
but they may not be experienced enough for 1992.  If USA Hockey plans to
bring in some experienced minor league goalies like Stauber, as was mentioned,
then that will be a plus.  I believe it is vital that Team USA be as strong
as possible between the pipes, especially if my fears regarding defense
turn out to be true.

I am happy to hear there will be a European tour, because I believe that
the 1988 team was not adequately prepared to compete in Calgary.  Maybe they
have learned from that fiasco.  I always believed it was illogical for a
team of NCAA all-stars to go around the country beating up on the various
teams the players were taken from while Canada, etc. were competing in
tournaments in Europe on international ice against teams they were going to
face in Calgary.  USA should have done better than a 7th place finish, but
I blame the brass, not the players.  Remember the USSR game?  They didn't
show up until the third period and *still* almost beat the Soviets.

BTW, has St Cloud (National Hockey Center) become the home base for the US
Olympic effort?  In the past, I recall, it was Colorado Springs.

If a list becomes available of players from the trials who have made the cut,
I would be interested in seeing it.  Thanks to Carol & everyone else who have
posted info on what's going on in St Cloud.

- mike