From:
JACK MCDONALD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JACK MCDONALD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 1994 08:15:24 -0700
Forwarded message:
From jmcdonal Fri Nov 11 18:47:18 1994
From: JACK MCDONALD <jmcdonal>
Subject: DU's New Facility Announcement
To: dusportsnet
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 17:20:09 -0700 (MST)
Cc: [log in to unmask] (Bernie Gleason)

NEWS RELEASE

CONTACT: Carol Farnsworth
303/871-2711

DU ANNOUNCES PLANS FOR CONSTRUCTION
OF $32.5 MILLION WELLNESS AND SPORTS CENTER

NOVEMBER 11, 1994 -- Today the University of Denver released details
of plans to build a $32.5 million wellness and sports center on its
campus -- the most extensive construction project in DU history.  This
project is one segment of the University of Denver Campaign, a $140
million, five-year fundraising campaign announced yesterday.

Pending successful completion of fund raising, groundbreaking for the
center is expected to occur in the spring of 1996.  The facility
should open about 18 months from groundbreaking.

"The wellness and sports center will make it possible -- for the first
time in 30 years -- to return DU athletics to Division I,"  says DU
Chancellor Daniel L. Ritchie.  "That's where we play in academics, and
that's where we should play in sports.  We're a Division I school in
every other respect."

Ritchie adds that building the center is a "real statement about how
seriously we take the health and lives of our students at DU.
Learning experiences inside and outside the classroom should blend
into 'total education.'"

The center will  be used for DU varsity, intramural, and club sports,
as well as faculty, staff, student, and alumni exercise and
recreation.  The center's spaces will also be available for local and
statewide activities, such as championship events, concerts, and
cultural and educational activities.

The four-story center will feature:
-  a 6,000 seat ice arena
-  a 3,000 seat, 30,000-square-foot gymnasium
-  an Olympic-sized swimming pool, including springboards and diving
platforms
-  a 600-square-foot secondary pool for other aquatic activities
-  a 35,000-square-foot fieldhouse
-  adjacent, outdoor venues for tennis, soccer/lacrosse, and baseball
-  public and varsity locker rooms
-  a 6,000-square-foot student health services center
-  a multi-level parking garage

DU Athletic Director Jack McDonald says, "We intend to use every inch
of space in the center in ways that will benefit the Denver community,
our university community, and, of course, our varsity programs."

The main ice arena will feature a hardwood cover for the ice that can
seat 7,200 fans for various events, such as high school sporting
contests, concerts, expos, and commencement exercises.  The center
will also house a 100' x 200' ice rink for recreational and community
use.

"The Trustees are absolutely committed to the success of this
project," says DU Board of Trustees Chairperson Joy Burns.  "Fund
raising for this new center has begun in earnest, and it is going very
well."

All aspects of the project are being handled by Denver firms.  The
wellness and sports center has been designed by Cabell Childress,
FAIA, university architect, with the Davis Partnership, P.C., as
architect of record, and Sink Combs Dethlefs, P.C., as sports
architecture consultants.  Calcon Construction is general contractor
and construction manager.

-DU-