From:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 1994 10:11:00 C
     >Speaking of fights, I have heard of a couple between Wisconsin and
     >North Dakota.  One of them started during the pre-game warmups and the
     >other was started when one of the WI players was squirting the ND
     >players with a water bottle on the bench.  Unfortunately I don't have
     >anymore details.

     >Can someone out there please fill in my mental blank spots?

The infamous Wisconsin/North Dakota brawl of 1981 (I believe, correct me if
I'm wrong) began when ND's Carey Eades skated by the Wisconsin bench and John
Newberry squirted him with a water bottle.  Not one to back down, Eades went
into the Wisconsin bench after Newberry, and the brawl ensued.  About the
only ones not involved were the goalies (Terry Kleisinger for Wisconsin and
Jon Casey???? for ND).  If you've ever been to the Great Dane, there is a
cement walkway that comes in between the two benches.  It goes back into the
beer garden at the Coliseum, and several players spilled into that area
continuing the fight.  I don't know if any drunks got involved or not, but
the fighting continued for about a half-hour.

I'll check to make sure that I'm right on the year, but Wisconsin and North
Dakota met in the playoffs later that season for one of the most exciting
playoff games I've ever seen.  It was back in the days of the "Two-game,
Total-Goal" series (boy, that was always a good idea).  The teams tied the
first night, so it  came down to Saturday night, winner-take-all.  North
Dakota led by five goals with 12 minutes left in the game.  Wisconsin stormed
back and tied the game with 6 seconds left on the clock (goal by Chris "I'm
Gonna Kill Your Family" Chelios).

One Overtime. . . . .nothin'.

Two Overtimes. . . . .nothin'.

Third Overtime.  Wisconsin's Tim Thomas scores the apparent game-winner.
But, Gino, being the devious guy that he always was, had 'em measure the
stick.  It was illegal.  The goal was disallowed and Wisconsin was given a
penalty in the third overtime.  I think I cried.  But, the Hockey Gods heard
my cries. . . .Wisconsin won the faceoff and Paul Houck carried the puck down
the ice and scored short-handed to send the Badgers into the NCAA
Tournament.  They went on to win the National Championship behind stellar
goaltending from Marc Behrend.

Chuck

Chuck Sackett                             Wisconsin Badger Hockey!
[log in to unmask]               NCAA Champs:  1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990!!!
Minneapolis, MN                  When you say Wisconsin, you've said it all!