Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 1994 13:47:11 EST
First off, I want to apologize in advance.  This post will likely be
highly emotional, not just because of the ruling, but because my emotions
have run the gambit since I got a phone call late last night about my
grandfather, so I guess you could say I am not exactly calm at this point

The news: WCSH and WLBZ, the NBC affiliates in Portland and Bangor broke
the story at 12:00 that Superior Court Justice Robert L. Browne handed
down a restraining order against Hockey East, reinstating Maine into the
tournament.  Dave Ahlers, on hand at Alfond, and Rob Caldwell in the
Portland studio said that Browne handed down the order because he felt
that the information presented to him did not indicate that Hockey East
had just cause to suspend Maine from the playoffs.  He also said that if
more facts present themselves, the league is capable of taking action
against the team/school at that point.  He also cited that Hockey East
had nothing to lose by allowing Maine to play, but if Maine was wrongfully
banned from the tournament it would be an injustice that could never be
corrected.  I do not know if those were direct quotes, but that is what
was said by the reporters.  There was supposed to be a press conference
at Alfond around 1:00 PM, but I was unable to listen to that because of
family matters.

There is the possibility that Hockey East could seek a higher court ruling
but Ahlers said that was highly unlikely.  It was also mentioned (though
not explained) that Maine may not be playing BU in the first round.  I
have no idea why they were speculating about that because as I say they
never fully explained; they were probably hoping to keep people watching
the entire broadcast to find out why...
One point of sportsmanship in this case I would like to bring up. Yesterday
the justice informed HE that they had until 4:30PM to file any papers
in their defense.  Their lawyer was unable to make it to court until after
4:30, arriving a few minutes after that time.  UMaine's lawyers were asked
if they objected to having the papers filed late.  According to a PPH
article this morning, it appeared that Browne was ready to make a decision,
and Maine legally could have prevented the papers from being filed, and
kept HE from having a defense. But UMaine wanted "the case heard fairly"
said Paul Chaiken, one of the lawyers handling this case, and allowed
the documents to be entered into the record, thus delaying the
decision until today AND giving the league a defense, which Maine
could have prevented.  At least there a sign that decency exists.

I do not know when I'll be able to post again.  At this point my family
members are going to continue our daily schedules, but that may change.
If I am not able to post, I hope someone around Maine will continue to
post the facts of this case as it goes on.  I want to thank all the
people who have sent me mail, both in support and critical of my posts.
Although the topic was not pleasant, it has been good to trade viewpoints

and arguements, and I am glad that there are so many passionate fans out
there.

John Forsyth

"You'll never find anything more rnjoyable, or more heartbreaking,
 than the Boston Red Sox."   -William Forsyth  1900-1994