From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1992 07:39:57 EST
The report I heard last night was that Paul Kariya and the Ferraro
brothers were officially named to the Canadian and US Junior National
Teams for the WJC's.

I didn't get the exact dates, but they did say that they would miss
all three winter tournaments coming up for Maine: The Great Western
Freezeout (19-20 Dec), The Cleveland Tournament [Name?] (29-30 Dec),
and Maine's own Dexter Hockey Classic (2-3 Jan).  That's a total of
six games.

As Lake Superior State is in two of those tournaments (Freezeout and
Dexter), it should make for some interesting matchups.  I feel that
even without those three Maine is a very formidable team - but they're
not the team Maine is when they're all in the lineup.

I'd be interested in knowing how many players other teams are losing
to the WJC's...

On another note...this weekend's game for Maine are against Northeastern
here at Alfond.  Last I looked NE was (surprisingly to me at least) in
second place in Hockey East.  That's probably the good news for Maine
fans.  The bad news is that NE always (in my 8 years of watching) gives
Maine fits - it will be particularly interesting to see how the young
forwards do against the - how should I say this? - "touchy feely" style
of NE.  (Of course I haven't seen NE this year, they may be an entirely
different style of team, and I may be completely wrong.  But I've been
wrong before - I'm used to it.)

Good luck to everyone this weekend...Charlie
 Charlie Slavin
 Mathematics in Maine                "It's a great day for hockey."
 [log in to unmask]                 BOB JOHNSON 1931 - 1991