From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1992 16:14:22 EDT
Adam writes:
>Yes, I heard that one of our veteran defensemen left early and
>unexpectedly during the off season.  This, combined with a focus on
>offense, leaves us a bit lacking in the defensive end.  I expect we
>will see a couple of "defensive" forwards converted to the position,
>maybe one of the the Bavis twins?  [speculation]

Adrian Aucoin, a very good freshman last year, left to join the Canadian
National Team (I originally thought he'd gone to major junior).  That
left the Terriers with Linna, Brennan, O'Sullivan, Foster, and freshman Doug
Wood.  Dan Donato is also on the roster although he did not play much.  From
the Drop the Puck yearbook, Parker says: "We hope to spot a walk-on or move
someone back from forward, like (senior) Dave Dahlberg.  There's also a
baseball player who was a pretty good hockey player in high school, Dan
Donato.  He played a couple of games for us last year before his baseball
practices started."

Donato is the brother of Ted, formerly of Harvard and Team USA and now with
Boston (he scored an ENG last night).

I count 17 forwards who either played last year or are talented newcomers; I
wouldn't be surprised to see one or more of them moved back to D this year.
This was probably in Parker's mind when he was deciding what positions to
fill with recruits.

>From what I have heard, they do have a very talented defensemen who
>will become available in January.  [Ineligible this semester.]  If BU
>can shore up what they have until that time, they will be vying for
>the Hockey East title again this year.

I agree, BU and Maine should be the strongest members of an otherwise somewhat
weak HE this season.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*