From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1993 14:35:37 -0400
Bri writes:
>What do BU, Harvard and BC look like this year?
>
>Are they being hit big time by graduation and/or the Olympics? I know
>Drury is going to Norway but are there any other big players leaving?

Well, first don't forget the fourth Boston team, Northeastern. :-)
But anyway, this year isn't anything like 1991-92 in terms of those three
teams being hit hard by the Olympics (or graduation).  Here are their
losses as near as I can tell.  I've listed players who have seen a
reasonably significant amount of playing time.

BC (4)
Olympics: Ian Moran, Jr D.
Graduation: F Marc Beran; D Ron Pascucci; D Scott Zygulski.

BU (6)
Olympics: none.
Graduation: G Scott Cashman; F Mark Bavis; F Mike Bavis; F Petteri
  Koskimaki; F David Sacco; D Kevin O'Sullivan.
(note Sacco is on Team USA and would not have returned.)

Harvard (3)
Olympics: Ted Drury, Sr F (signed with Calgary and then joined Team
  USA).
Graduation: F Matt Mallgrave; F Steve Flomenhoft.

Maine is the team that's hardest hit, losing the following players (13):
Olympics: Mike Dunham, Sr G (announced intent not to return prior to
  making Team USA); Chris Imes, Sr D; Matt Martin, Sr D (signed with
  Toronto and then joined Team USA); Chris Ferraro, So F; Peter
  Ferraro, So F; Paul Kariya, So F (will play first half of season
  and then join Team Canada).
Graduation: G Garth Snow; F Eric Fenton; F Dave LaCouture; F Martin
  Mercier; F Jim Montgomery; F Kent Salfi; D Dan Murphy.
(note Snow is on Team USA and would not have returned.)

In addition to those 13, there are two question marks: Sr F Patrice
Tardif and Sr F Justin Tomberlin were possibilities not to return - I
think I recall that Tomberlin signed a pro baseball contract.  That
would mean 15 of the 19 players who saw much of the action for Maine
would not be back, counting Kariya (who will play half the season).
But I'm still not sure of the status of Tardif and Tomberlin.

As for how they look this year, briefly, I think BU and Harvard will
be among the top teams in the nation all year long.  They return most
of their key players and in the case of BU, which lost more than
Harvard did, the Terriers have a superb freshman class (Harvard's is
pretty decent, too).  BC seems to have 5 or 6 players with great
potential coming in, at all positions, but overall they're an enigma.
Lots of potential, not much shown yet.  The one real superstar BC had,
Moran, is gone to Team USA.  Scoring goals was a problem last year,
and goaltending was inconsistent - but BC was a young team, so we will
see if the experience they've gained helps them.
---
Mike Machnik           [log in to unmask]          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMN* 11/13/93