From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1992 23:13:32 EDT
An exciting new development has made it possible for readers of this list
to retrieve lots of information directly from LISTSERV without having to
request it from the list.  Thanks very much to Wayne for putting this
together, I think it will prove to be of great benefit to the list.

In the introductory message which everyone received when subscribing to
this list, you were given information on how to access the archives of
HOCKEY-L.  The same method can now be used to request team schedules and
other information.

To see what files are available, send a message to [log in to unmask]
or [log in to unmask] and in the body, type

GET HOCKEY-L FILELIST

This will give you all files in the archives, including compliations of old
HOCKEY-L messages.

The files currently available include the following.  Each can be
requested by sending mail to listserv and placing

GET <identifier1> <identifier2>

in the body.  The identifiers along with file descriptions are given below.
For example, to request the rules changes file, use

GET 9293RULE CHANGES

ID#1     ID#2      DESCRIPTION
HOCKEY-L ACHA1992  ACHA Standings, teams, news
9293RULE CHANGES   NCAA Rule Changes
9293MSC  TVSCHED   MidWest Sports Channel Schedule
9293NESN TVSCHED   NESN TV Schedule
9293HE   PREVIEW   Hockey East Pre-Season Preview
9293ROST CCHA      CCHA Rosters as of 10-5-92
9293COMP SCHEDULE  Division I Composite Schedule
9293TEAM SCHEDULE  Division I Team Schedules (all)

The last two are huge and have been placed there directly without being
sent to the list.  I did not want folks who don't want to see them to
have them flood their mailboxes.  So, GET 9293COMP SCHEDULE will get you
my completed 1992-93 DivI Composite.  Some notes on that:

*It does include UAH and Mankato (all games) although the two-letter code
 has been changed to reflect that these teams are not DivI.
*The two-letter codes after the games stand for the following:
   CC-CCHA league game
   EC-ECAC league game
   EX-exhibition game (not counted in overall record)
   HE-Hockey East league game
   NC-nonconference game
   NI-non DivI game (vs DivII, DivIII, Canadian, etc.)
   WC-WCHA league game
 The codes help my standings program determine whether a game should be
 counted in league standings and allow me to include exhibitions while not
 counting these games in overall records.
*Notes exist after some games to tell whether the games are part of a
 tourney, being played at a different arena, some times, etc.  The times
 are not meant to be complete and may not all be accurate.  They are
 Eastern time.
*On dates when tourney consolation/championships are to be played, you'll
 see some teams listed more than once, i.e. Brown vs Maine/Miami and
 Maine vs Brown/Lake Superior.  This is so that my program can generate a
 complete schedule for each team which indicates who the team's opponent
 could be that day, given that they have already faced a first-round
 tourney opponent.  As the season goes on and the games are played, I'll
 be editing my version to remove the duplicates.
*Although I worked hard to try to verify all games, there may still be
 some errors.  Please send me mail if you know of any corrections.

It is also possible to retrieve an individual DivI team's schedule in
the same manner.  All 44 schedules are there and were generated from my
composite.  Since LISTSERV identifiers are limited to 8 characters, most
teams have abbreviations that must be used when requesting their schedules.
The format is GET 9293TSCH <abbreviation> and the abbreviations are as
follows (again, these are available by GET HOCKEY-L FILELIST):

AIRFORCE Air Force          KENT     Kent            PRINCETN Princeton
ARMY     Army               LSSU     Lake Superior   PROV-COL Providence
BC       Boston College     MAINE    Maine           RPI      RPI
BG       Bowling Green      MERRIMAC Merrimack       ST-CLOUD St Cloud
BROWN    Brown              MIAMI    Miami           ST-LAW   St Lawrence
BU       Boston University  MICH-ST  Michigan State  UAA      Alaska-Anch
CLARKSON Clarkson           MICHIGAN Michigan        UAF      Alaska-Fair
COLGATE  Colgate            MICHTECH Michigan Tech   UMLOWELL UMass-Lowell
COLORADO Colorado College   MINN-DUL Minn-Duluth     UNH      New Hampshire
CORNELL  Cornell            MINNESOT Minnesota       UNION    Union
DENVER   Denver             N-DAKOTA North Dakota    VERMONT  Vermont
DRTMOUTH Dartmouth          N-DAME   Notre Dame      W-MICH   Western Mich
FERRISST Ferris State       N-EASTRN Northeastern    WISC     Wisconsin
HARVARD  Harvard            N-MICH   Northern Mich   YALE     Yale
ILL-CHIC Illinois-Chicago   OHIO-ST  Ohio State

Wayne has set this up so that I can do the replacing of certain files
like the composite myself, and I plan to put new versions in the archives
every so often as the season goes on depending on the time I have.  It
may not be every week.

I think this will prove to be something that makes the list even more
useful to people and I like the idea of putting huge files like the
composite in the archives rather than sending them out to the list.  And,
I think Wayne deserves a huge THANK YOU for setting this up for us.

There are many old files I have lying around that should be in the archives
as well, and as I get them uploaded to the archives, I'll send out mail
to let everyone know that they are there.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*