From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 1992 23:56:16 EDT
>Dadswell was listed a few days ago as being put on waivers. I noticed
>that he was not selected in the Waiver Draft of Oct. 4.
>
>I don't know what "waivers" means in the NHL, but if it's anything
>like baseball, I'd say Dadswell's just joined the ranks of the
>unemployed.

My understanding of NHL waivers, at least as far as the waiver draft goes,
is that teams get to protect so many players at the end of the preseason
and then a draft is held where you get to draft players from among the
unprotected.  However, each team can only lose one player, and if you
select a player, you must make another player available.  Rumors here were
that Boston was going to take Troy Gamble from Vancouver and unprotect
Reggie Lemelin.

Players not taken revert to their original teams.  Also, the list of players
who can be protected/not protected seems to have something to do with the
amount of service those players have had in the league or organizations.
Dadswell was likely around long enough to have to be protected but he was
not among their top 2 goalies.  Unless he was released outright (a little
different from waivers), I think he'd still be part of the organization.

The problem is that this can send the wrong message to some players, i.e.
that they don't figure in the team's plans.  That's not necessarily true.
You just can't protect everyone.  Some pretty good players were taken in
that draft this weekend, i.e. Adam Creighton by TB from NYI.

I know this is a little off the topic of h-l, but my best friend who is a
catcher in Oakland's organization has been around long enough that he would
need to protected on the A's triple-A roster, although he has spent the last
few years in AA and never been called up to AAA.  In the December minor
league draft, he could be taken by another team which would immediately have
to place him on their AAA roster.  If not taken, his rights revert to Oakland.
This happened last year to him.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)