From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 1994 10:54:00 MST
********************************
* ORIGINALLY sent monday evening
* WTS suggested resending...
********************************

last year i wrote...
> Why doesn't anybody think of USAFA as a potential WCHA expansion team?
> yes, i realize mankato state is more "geographically correct" for a
> 4/4/4 division, but at some point air force will have to either slide
> down to div II or III or become involved with a league.

I got three responses.  (I hope the responders don't mind my posting
their e-mail without specific permission)

mike answered...
> My guess is that after what happened with USMA getting in over their
> heads in the ECAC, most people figure the same would happen with USAFA
> & the WCHA because of the inherent disadvantage they face recruiting.
> I have to admit that this is the way I look at it, too.  On the
> surface, it doesn't appear that it would be good for either the school
> or conference.  But I know you are closer to the situation - maybe you
> can address these questions if there are some things significantly
> different about the USMA & USAFA situations?
>
> BTW, it's interesting to see that Union has been no more competitive
> than Army in the ECAC - maybe less so.

keith answered...
> USAFA can't slide down to II/III in hockey
> unless they do it in all sports.
>
> I imagine why no one considers Air Force in their
> expansion plans is because the Falcons are very happy
> where they are and they don't want to join a league.

david answered...
> I think you are the hockey-l contributor with the best perspective on
> Air Force.  How do you see them as a potential WCHA member?

> What kind of schedule do they play now? How many games?

> ps: I think you should post your analysis to the list.. but I
> didn't want to bore the list with my questions.

several points.
1.  I wasn't aware that a team could play UP to div 1 in hockey if not
    div 1 in other sports but could ot play DOWN in a sport if a div 1
    competitor in other sports.
2.  I would think a league membership would enhance recruiting efforts
    as the coach can point to playing with "the best" against "the
    best" and compete for the top 90 goaltenders, 270 defenders, and
    540 forwards (180 each centers, right wings, and left wings)
3.  I think the tougher schedule raises the level of the program.
    I've seen some of that with USAFA playing more of div 1 opponents
    than they have in the past.  I also cite notre dame and the alaska
    programs as having improved because of the league assoiations.
    That doesn't always happen (viz army and union) though.
4.  I tend to believe the cadets here have vastly different career
    expectations than those at either the point or annapolis.  People
    here seem to see themselves either as fliers or administrators.
    The don't see themselves as killers as I perceive those at the the
    point do.
5.  I'm not convinced that air force is happy where it is.  I see a
    lot of frustration in the staff in their not being able to go
    after the creme of the high school crop.
6.  I see a trend of it becoming harder and harder to play a strong
    division 1 schedule without becoming a member of a league.  There
    is no longer an "independent's tournament," there is no longer an
    "independent's slot" for the tournament, and there are hardly any
    independents left.  Notre dame has joined ccha,  the alaska teams
    are both league associated, huntsville is no longer playing
    division 1, mankato wants to be in a league.
7.  Schedule...
        TCHCR last week had USAFA with the #1 strength of schedule
        and this week it dropped back to #10
        The opponents are:
        Lowell (2)
        New Hampshire (2)
        Colorado College (2)
        Alaska Fairbanks (4)
        Boston College (1) (Denver Cup)
        Princeton (1) (Denver Cup)
        Providence (2)
        Yale (2)
        St. Cloud (2)
        Army (2)
        Mankato State (4)
        Connecticut (2)
        St. Thomas (2)
        St. Olaf (2)
        Hamline (2)

best wishes for a happy healthy year.... see you in the twin cities
this spring.

charlie shub
[log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369