From:
Robin Lock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Lock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1993 01:14:25 EST
We've noticed on the list before how different fan's perspectives
can influence impressions of a game.  A couple of examples regarding
Bri's report on Clarkson-SLU (with no offense intended towards Bri -
I am certainly not innocent when charged with partisanship!)

Did Clarkson's goalie (Currie) really "stand on his head" in the
second period?  The local paper (Watertown) also played that up as
a key to the game.  I wasn't nearly so impressed.  I can't recall
any time that I thought "Wow- what a save".  Unfortunately, most of
the best Saint opportunities went whistling by the net wide or high
- not even a decent "post" among them! The saves Currie did have were
numerous, but mostly all fairly routine. SLU's Spagnoletti had a few
more difficult chances, but also had two goals go in from pucks which
were lying in the crease and might easily have been covered.

On Saints running into Currie:  I saw the Allain play much
differently.  Allain was clearly hauled down by a Clarkson defender
as he broke towards the net (a gentle tug at Allain's neck). That
was the initial penalty (and well-deserved) and what sent Allain
crashing down into Currie.  Now Allain might have been overly
aggressive in getting off Currie (the paper said Currie was cut on
the play), because Currie certainly took off after him (producing
penalty #2).  BTW, SLU scored just 18 seconds later on the 5 on 3.

The later penalty Bri mentioned for hitting the goalie was actually
a key point in the game - however wasn't due to crashing the net.
It was you standard "goalie behind the net playing the puck".  I
understand that goalies get extra protection in such situations
(i.e. they can't be checked like normal folks). What exactly is the
rule on such things?  Anyway, this all occurred with about 8 minutes
to go in the third period and the subsequent power play produced
Clarkson's first shot on goal for the period.  SLU had been
overwhelming them up to that point - very similar to SLU's third
period against RPI earlier in the year.  Things still looked
promising after the penalty was killed when SLU's Tom Perry got
the puck all alone in the high slot with a great scoring chance, but
fanned on the big slap shot attempt when the puck bounced and quickly
Clarkson had a 2-on-1 going the other way which they converted
superbly for the clinching goal.

Finally, on dropping the puck.  Clarkson's Conroy was thrown out of
the face-off circle almost every time he was in it - jawing at the
linesman on each occasion.  I'm not sure if he was complaining about
slow drops, or if he just kept insisting on doing whatever the
linesman was objecting to. Why do people get thrown out of faceoffs?

 Unfortunately, I forgot to set my VCR to tape the game - it would
be fun to go back and check some of the plays to see to what extent
impressions were influenced by the emotions of watching an exciting
game.  There'll probably be a replay on sometime soon - unless WCKN
has already shut down for finals.

Anyway, it was a tough pair of losses for the young Saints and a
good boost for Clarkson which finished 1993 with a 6-0 record
against SLU.  I wouldn't be surprised if they meet again early in
1994 (Lake Placid would be fun...)

Robin Lock